680.22(a)(6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyx92

Does this mean you can measure from edge of pool wall diagonally to the outlet. Example from edge of pool wall to adjacent wall measured horizontally is 8 ft 5 in. So we know an outlet cant go there. Now if you were to mount an outlet 6 ft 6 in up on the wall and measure from it diagonally down to the edge of pool wall it will be more than 10 ft as the code requires. I'm just not 100% sure I'm interpretting this correctly. What you say? This is 2005 NEC article.

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
While I'm not crazy about that answer, I would have to agree.

Now the reason that I'm not crazy about it. The idea of the receptacle is so that you have a place to plug in a radio, etc with out having to use an extension cord and so that the appliance stays away from the edge of the pool. If you have the receptacle at 6'6", then the appliance cord is not going to reach and you are back to the extension cord.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Wonder why they would have reduced the requirement? Anyone know?
2008 ROP 17-85a Panel Substantiation:

The panel changed 5 ft to 6 ft and 10 ft to 6 ft for receptacle locations relative to distance to water to ensure consistency throughout Article 680. The 10 ft has been in the Code for many years, previous to the introduction of GFCI devices. The panel determined that 6 ft is sufficient. 6 ft correlates with standard power supply cord lengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.