Can 277 and 120 go in the same raceway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Current

Dumb question i know, but i was reading i think 200.6 and it said something about two neutrals of two different systems being in the same pipe. Is it just good practice not to do this?

ox110

The 277 neutral conductor must be gray so as to be confused with the 110 neutral. Phase colors for the 277 are brown orange yellow here in new york.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The 277 neutral conductor must be gray so as to be confused with the 110 neutral. Phase colors for the 277 are brown orange yellow here in new york.

That might only be true if the 120 volt neutral were white. You could you a gray for 120 volts and white for 277 volts.

ox110

yes you can use eiather color when each voltage is in it own raceway but when the two voltages are in the same raceway than straight white cannot be used for the 277v circuit. The 277v must be identifilable from the 110v circuit. I know all is just talk without quoting code sections but I lost my at a job recently.

jwjrw

yes you can use eiather color when each voltage is in it own raceway but when the two voltages are in the same raceway than straight white cannot be used for the 277v circuit. The 277v must be identifilable from the 110v circuit. I know all is just talk without quoting code sections but I lost my at a job recently.

It does not say the white has to be used for the 120v. It could be used for either 120 or 277.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Tagging, tape and paint I think too.

Question: Can I use a total of four colors to wire all power, lighting, motors, and transformers in a building and still meet the requirements in the NEC? What colors would they be?

jwjrw

Question: Can I use a total of four colors to wire all power, lighting, motors, and transformers in a building and still meet the requirements in the NEC? What colors would they be?

If only one voltage was in the building you could use 4 colors. The nec does not specify what color just that different voltages be identified.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

If the building only had one system (i.e.-208Y/120 or 240/120) you could just about any colors that you wanted. The limits would be on the grounded and grounding conductors.

jusme123

Occupation
JW

the bldg voltages are 120/240, and 277/480

jwjrw

the bldg voltages are 120/240, and 277/480

Typically would be black red blue white/ brown orange yellow grey but could be any colors. Like infinity said only grounded and grounding conductors have color restrictions.

480sparky

If only one voltage was in the building you could use 4 colors. The nec does not specify what color just that different voltages be identified.

If there's only one voltage, you can use ALL the colors.

Let's say you have just 120/208. You can use Blk/Red/Blu for lighting & receps, Brn/Org/Yel for motors.

Or you could use BRB for unswitched conductors, and BOY that are switched.

Status
Not open for further replies.