Ideal spliceline

Status
Not open for further replies.

guschash

Has anybody use the ideal spliceline in-line connectors. It looks like you can use them in a wall with no box. What article deals with a splice in a wall, if any.

gus

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Has anybody use the ideal spliceline in-line connectors. It looks like you can use them in a wall with no box. What article deals with a splice in a wall, if any.

gus

I see nothing that indicates they can be used in a wall with no box. They look to be used in place of wire nuts that would be too large to pass through a knock-out, enabling a connection to be made outside a box with a 1/2 in KO and then pushed through the KO into the box.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I see nothing that indicates they can be used in a wall with no box. They look to be used in place of wire nuts that would be too large to pass through a knock-out, enabling a connection to be made outside a box with a 1/2 in KO and then pushed through the KO into the box.
I didn't look up the reference, till your comment. After looking at Ideal's information, I think you're right. My NEC reference doesn't apply to this device.

The Spliceline looks like this (and is for individual conductors, not cable):

30-1742.jpg

paul

I didn't look up the reference, till your comment. After looking at Ideal's information, I think you're right. My NEC reference doesn't apply to this device.

The Spliceline looks like this (and is for individual conductors, not cable):

30-1742.jpg

You are correct. They are butt-splices for wire, not cable. Their brochure shows them being used for pre-fab type of work.

http://www.idealindustries.com/media/pdfs/products/brochures/p-5003_spliceline_brochure.pdf

Although looking at their brochure, I am perplexed at how they plan on tightening up the lock-nut to the connector shown. Definitely not the fitting I would use to speed up labor and reduce cost, but what do I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.