240-3 Open delta, design for future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

Designing a project with a existing 240-3 open delta service that we are upgrading. They are building a 3rd of the project now, and the other 2/3 at a future date.

My question is, we currently wont have any 3 phase loads, however we will in the future . Is it OK to bring the wild B leg in for future and use it for the service even if it wont be used now. Should I be worried about a balancing issue? What if we dont end up putting 3 phase loads in? I would like to have the 3 phase to keep the service size down.

Thanks

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I don't see why it wouldn't be OK to bring in the high leg. As for balancing, do you have any 2-pole loads? Use them to balance the load to B.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
You mean like any 240V single phase loads? I have a bunch of mechanical equipment I suppose.
Yes, 1? 240V loads. Balance your 120V circuits A-N-C, then balance out A-B-C with 240V loads.

For example, say you had 10kVA of 120V loads and 20kVA of 1? 240V loads, you would connect your 120's A-N-C (i.e. 5kVA A-N and 5kVA C-N) then split your 240's A-B and B-C at 10kVA each... but this balancing will depend on the source kVA per xfmr. Not all open delta systems are set up for balanced loading...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That's correct. Most open-Delta (I'd say all) can not handle a fully-balanced 3-ph loading, since the high-leg transformer is rarely as large as the main one is.

I suggest setting up the metering and separate main disco (if there is one) for 3-ph, but install a 1-ph panel now, and put in a 3-ph panel when the time comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.