3 phase panel/single phase supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodduder

I have a situation where 3 phase 120/208 panels are installed in a modular building. Plans have me bringing single phase 120/240 services to these modulars. The panels have main breakers and will be the main service disconnect. No loads are 3 phase in the modular. Is there any code issue that would prevent me from bringing the single phase service to this 3 phase main/panel and not using one leg of panel?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I have a situation where 3 phase 120/208 panels are installed in a modular building. Plans have me bringing single phase 120/240 services to these modulars. The panels have main breakers and will be the main service disconnect. No loads are 3 phase in the modular. Is there any code issue that would prevent me from bringing the single phase service to this 3 phase main/panel and not using one leg of panel?
Are the branch circuits already wired?

If not, how many branch circuits versus panelboard spaces? You'll only be able to 2/3 of the spaces.

To others, what about equipment marking requirement...???

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I posted virtually the same question a week or two ago. All is fine. It's a bit odd, so just make sure its labeled properly.

Jason
So how does one get around...
408.58 Panelboard Marking. Panelboards shall be durably
marked by the manufacturer with the voltage and the
current rating and the number of phases for which they are
designed and with the manufacturer’s name or trademark in
such a manner so as to be visible after installation, without
disturbing the interior parts or wiring.

I understand two phases is not more than the three phases for which the equipment was desinged, but that would open the door for us to use any equipment in a manner other than which it was designed...???

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.