Using Fine stranded cable (welding/locomotive cable)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sespllc

Does NEC allow for the use of fine stranded cable to distribute power into power panels by using a copper wrap (copper tape) on the cable end that is terminated into a lug that is designed for regular power cable? There is an AP Note by an electrical supply company that suggests that using a copper wrap is acceptable. I would believe this if the "copper wrap" was actually a copper sleeve that is crimped on then inserted into a lug. But, I have not seen this copper tape used in this fashion before, so just because there is an AP Note does not make it code acceptable. Is this approved by NEC and if so, can someone point me to that code specific article?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
You would have to find the insulation rating in the tables to find it's amp rating of the cable. Then the tape would have to be "listed" for such a use. So in a word, Unlikely.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Does NEC allow for the use of fine stranded cable to distribute power into power panels by using a copper wrap (copper tape) on the cable end that is terminated into a lug that is designed for regular power cable? There is an AP Note by an electrical supply company that suggests that using a copper wrap is acceptable. I would believe this if the "copper wrap" was actually a copper sleeve that is crimped on then inserted into a lug. But, I have not seen this copper tape used in this fashion before, so just because there is an AP Note does not make it code acceptable. Is this approved by NEC and if so, can someone point me to that code specific article?

Look at ARTICLE 310 and read through:confused:

DownRiverGUy

I would caution using fine stranded/battery cable/welding cable/railroad cable for applications that normally require listed wires.

The first issue is the cable itself listed as anything?

Secondly.... careful how you terminate that stuff or this happens:
http://www.nmsu.edu/~tdi/pdf-resources/IAEI-1to2-05.pdf

At conference we were told of an electric motor manufacture that was losing their shirt because of their terminations burning up! Being a good company they kept replacing the equipment... until someone mentioned that the people buying the equipment were using fine stranded cables in lugs that were not listed for it! They were able to stop giving away motors after that ;)

While the "copper wrap" may help with this problem I'd highly doubt that it would be listed for the application that you're speaking of.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I would suggest using a Greaves "Shoo-pin" connector. You can probably find them with an online search.

And thanks to whoever posted a Greaves link in an earlier thread. :) It was very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.