Emergency exit stairway lighting control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernard1599

Can the lighting in an emergency exit stairway of a building be controlled by occupancy sensors or motion detectors, or does the lighting have to remain on 24/7?

Thank you,
Bernard

iwire

Staff member
Can the lighting in an emergency exit stairway of a building be controlled by occupancy sensors or motion detectors, or does the lighting have to remain on 24/7?

Not sure about occupancy sensors but if you do control the required emergency egress lighting it must come back on anytime there is a power failure regardless of the area being occupied or not.

Bernard1599

Not sure about occupancy sensors but if you do control the required emergency egress lighting it must come back on anytime there is a power failure regardless of the area being occupied or not.

iwire,

Thank you for your response. The stairway is currently illuminated by 4' , 2 lamp, T8 fixtures on each floor which remain on 24/7. There are also dual head battery back-up emergency fixtures that activate during a power outage. And a combo Exit/light fixture at the egress door.

I wanted to know if it is required to maintain any lighting in the Emergency Only Exit stairway. The stairway has no windows only a door on each floor and a building exit door on the first floor.

Thank you,

RICK NAPIER

If your using the IBC the lighting needs to always be on while the building not the space is occupied.

SECTION 1006 MEANS OF EGRESS ILLUMINATION

1006.1 Illumination required. The means of egress, including the exit discharge, shall be illuminated at all times the building space served by the means of egress is occupied.

Exceptions:

1. Occupancies in Group U.2. Aisle accessways in Group A.3. Dwelling units and sleeping units in Groups R-1, R-2 and R-3.4. Sleeping units of Group I occupancies.

Bernard1599

If your using the IBC the lighting needs to always be on while the building not the space is occupied.

SECTION 1006 MEANS OF EGRESS ILLUMINATION

1006.1 Illumination required. The means of egress, including the exit discharge, shall be illuminated at all times the building space served by the means of egress is occupied.

Exceptions:

1. Occupancies in Group U.2. Aisle accessways in Group A.3. Dwelling units and sleeping units in Groups R-1, R-2 and R-3.4. Sleeping units of Group I occupancies.

Thanks Rick,

Is there a required illumination level? i.e. foot candles?

Thank you,

Bernard1599

Yes, IBC section 1006.2 requires the illumination level to be not less than 1 foot-candle (11 LUX) at the walking surface level.

Chris

Thank you Chris,

Genuinely appreciate all of the responses received. I started another thread on the "Lighting" forum. I would like to know if there are LED retrofit/conversion kits available for 4' T8 fixtures.

Thank again,
Bernard

mauk

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
We've used occupancy sensors in conjunction with dimming/step-dimming ballasts to automatically reduce lighting levels when the stairhall is not in use. Some fixtures even have this capability right from the factory.

renosteinke

An interesting issue.

Ultimately, we're back to the old 'if a tree falls and no one hears it, did it make a sound' debate.

Illumination can be by windows and skylights during the day. I've been places where it was REQUIRED that stairwell lights be on short-interval timers, occupancy sensors, etc.

How can the inspector object to a stairwell that is lit every time he goes to inspect it? A failed sensor is, IMO, no more an issue than a failed bulb.

Still, I'd want to clear it with the AHJ in advance, lest there be a later misunderstanding.

Bernard1599

An interesting issue.

Ultimately, we're back to the old 'if a tree falls and no one hears it, did it make a sound' debate.

Illumination can be by windows and skylights during the day. I've been places where it was REQUIRED that stairwell lights be on short-interval timers, occupancy sensors, etc.

How can the inspector object to a stairwell that is lit every time he goes to inspect it? A failed sensor is, IMO, no more an issue than a failed bulb.

Still, I'd want to clear it with the AHJ in advance, lest there be a later misunderstanding.

Thank you for your reply.

I just spoke with the county electrical & building inspectors. They both said that 1 foot candle/sq. ft. must be maintained in the stairway 24/7. There are no windows in the stairway for natural light. So that takes away the sensor option except for the dual low/high type. That would also involve changing out the existing fixtures. I'll have to think about this further before getting back to the HOA. I'm reasonably certain that the LED retrofit kits available would be cost prohibitive.

Again, thank you all for your comments and guidance.

Regards,
Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.