Grounding Bushing Alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJSMITH1

Try a copper strap clamp that is listed for bonding..

http://www.seniorindustries.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=SI-0954-12

SI-0954-12m.jpg

You should be able to get most of those conduits wrapped and tied together. As far as space, I am not sure if there is anything available with less of a profile.

Those Erico clamps are for rebar only, not Conduit. Also, many AHJ's would probably not approve of any bonding means entering the ID area of the conduit.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Larry,
The one in your picture will only accept up to a #6 conductor. I doubt that would be large enough for this application. I am not sure there is a code compliant solution for this problem.

ggonza

If you could do a shutdown to determinate the wires. You might be able to spin F.A's on the ends and make a PVC extension with belled ends. Then you could encase the Rigid in at least 2" of cement and not have to bond them. Just an idea

LJSMITH1

Larry,
The one in your picture will only accept up to a #6 conductor. I doubt that would be large enough for this application. I am not sure there is a code compliant solution for this problem.

Sorry Don...I just noticed your reply.

I wasn't really thinking that the OP would only use one strap with one #6. I was thinking he could use one per conduit and feed all #6 into an enclosure-mounted terminal grounding bar... The real bugger is that the conduits are not spaced evenly, and the strap device affords the most flexibility with clamping.

Can that be done to comply?

Brandon Loyd

Look for an item called a grounding wedge. It is horseshoe shaped. You can loosed the PB and locknut just off of the conduit, slide the wedge in, then put everything back. The grounding wedge is designed to be wedged between the locknut and the enclosure. It comes with two screws on it. One is to tighten down on the conduit, and the other is to add a small lug to so you can then bond to the enclosure. They are awesome for already terminated wire. I will try to find out who makes them.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Sorry Don...I just noticed your reply.

I wasn't really thinking that the OP would only use one strap with one #6. I was thinking he could use one per conduit and feed all #6 into an enclosure-mounted terminal grounding bar... The real bugger is that the conduits are not spaced evenly, and the strap device affords the most flexibility with clamping.

Can that be done to comply?
Larry,
This is a 1600 amp circuit so we need to connect a 4/0 to each raceway.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Look for an item called a grounding wedge. It is horseshoe shaped. You can loosed the PB and locknut just off of the conduit, slide the wedge in, then put everything back. The grounding wedge is designed to be wedged between the locknut and the enclosure. It comes with two screws on it. One is to tighten down on the conduit, and the other is to add a small lug to so you can then bond to the enclosure. They are awesome for already terminated wire. I will try to find out who makes them.
These are stub ups in an open bottom enclosure. There are no locknuts or bushings.

Status
Not open for further replies.