Light Switch & Pocket Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davis9

Depends on the framing, the house I did had the same set up as you describe. The pocket door walls where 2x4 on the their sides. I had 1.5 to work with, used 4"sq boxes with mud rings to get them in there. Had to get creative on the box fill issues but worked ok for a 2 gang.

Tom

walkerj

I agree with Davis.

I have always done it like that.

Edit: You have to use 1/8" mudrings and it needs 2 layers of rock on bathroom side.

Last edited:

480sparky

Why not use LV wiring and a relay?

clapper.jpg

picardclap.gif

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Depends on the framing, the house I did had the same set up as you describe. The pocket door walls where 2x4 on the their sides. I had 1.5 to work with, used 4"sq boxes with mud rings to get them in there. Had to get creative on the box fill issues but worked ok for a 2 gang.

Tom

This is what I said. If you have 2x4 on their sides and a pocket door in the middle then you have a 2x6 wall. If on the otherhand, the builder or architects cheap out and use the flimsy kit then you cannot put a switch in the wall.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
A very shallow box may work if you only have a switch leg. I forget min legal depth if device is installed. I have a pocket door but no issue, my switches were already on other side when door installed. Someone said double rock, etc. That sounds good to me. For some uses, there is now a blue box, shallow with a "side pocket". Always thought they looked goofy, but I used a few in a mobile home wall & they worked well. I try to keep a few now.

Jlarson

I'd just surface mount one of these with one of these for the switch and then have one of these stubbed out the top into the ceiling.

Oh yah! Don't forget this, this (or alternatively, this or this (if you're cheap)), and probably at least two of these. And this, of course. That's the whole point.

It'd give the place a cool "steampunk" vibe, wouldn't it?

No ice pack for when the HO smacks you for the slightly hacky, industrial looking install you just did in their living room? :grin: (I hate the limited smiley choice here)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I'd just surface mount one of these with one of these for the switch and then have one of these stubbed out the top into the ceiling.

Oh yah! Don't forget this, this (or alternatively, this or this (if you're cheap)), and probably at least two of these. And this, of course. That's the whole point.

It'd give the place a cool "steampunk" vibe, wouldn't it?
Must have been a slow Saturday night, ey? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.