Basement Rough, Trim

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I'd consider doing this job. I'd write a contract for what I was going to do and I'd get a permit for same.

Why would you even encorege a home owner to do that .And leave your self open to the board of Electricians Examiniers if the home owner burns the house down .then you have to prove your case to the board of Electricians examiners in boston.

electricmanscott

Why would you even encorege a home owner to do that .And leave your self open to the board of Electricians Examiniers if the home owner burns the house down .then you have to prove your case to the board of Electricians examiners in boston.

I have bills to pay. :roll:

You guys like to make it sound like we're doing brain surgery. I know this will be an ego buster but this stuff isn't that difficult.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I have bills to pay. :roll:

You guys like to make it sound like we're doing brain surgery. I know this will be an ego buster but this stuff isn't that difficult.

If the home owner did the rough and called you to pull a permit and do the finish work would you take the job and hook up all the "HR's" that the home owner ran?:roll:

growler

I agree that there is nothing complicated about doing residential electrical such as a basement finish.

But then again there is nothing complicated about driving a car either and it is possible to make some serious mistakes if you don't know what you are doing.

The most common mistake that I see the average homeowner make is thinking that there are no rules that they must follow because it's their house and no one can tell them what to do on their private property.

This is why I like to have the homeowner get the building permit in their name and I can explain the hard facts of life to them. "Now you are no longer just the homeowner you are the contractor of record for this job and if there are any mistakes you will be responsible for for it from now on".

growler

Some here would let you work on my brain.

If you are familiar with DR. Walter Freemans's method of doing the "Ice-Pick Lobotomy" even brain surgery is not all that complicated.

Brain surgery didn't get all that complicated until it became somewhat important for the patient to actually live and function. :D

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
You choose to believe this, that's your opinion and that's fine.
I really don't care what you do. I said I would do it. You said you wouldn't whoopdeedo. :roll:

I see this as no different than me plumbing your home and letting you install the fixtures.

If it leaks on what I did it is my liability. Leaks on or because of what you did, your problem.

I too would do the 'permitted' work.

480sparky

I see this as no different than me plumbing your home and letting you install the fixtures.

If it leaks on what I did it is my liability. Leaks on or because of what you did, your problem.

I too would do the 'permitted' work.

A leaking pipe means you didn't do your job right. A leaking faucet means I didn't do my job right. That's easy to figure out.

But when all that's left of the house is the chimney and a pile of ashes, it's rather hard to say whether it's your fault or mine.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
A leaking pipe means you didn't do your job right. A leaking faucet means I didn't do my job right. That's easy to figure out.

But when all that's left of the house is the chimney and a pile of ashes, it's rather hard to say whether it's your fault or mine.

I disagree. Imagine that.

If your permitted work was inspected and approved, what would be your liability?

Hmm, Electrical Contractor and Electrical Inspector VS Homeowner.

Now if there were NO inspections or permits then that could be a problem. Many areas in Ohio have NO Residential Building Department.

With the cameras that we have today I would take pictures of my work and not give the job another thought.

480sparky

I disagree. Imagine that.

If your permitted work was inspected and approved, what would be your liability?

It's electrical, the Fire Marshal says. Now, who caused it?

Hmm, Electrical Contractor and Electrical Inspector VS Homeowner.

And who is going to fight this battle? Fire Marshal? No. AHJ? No. The insurance companies will, and they lawyer up for those battles.

.............With the cameras that we have today I would take pictures of my work and not give the job another thought.

I see. You have a camera that can photograph the future. Neat feature. Where can I buy one?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
It's electrical, the Fire Marshal says. Now, who caused it?

And who is going to fight this battle? Fire Marshal? No. AHJ? No. The insurance companies will, and they lawyer up for those battles.

I see. You have a camera that can photograph the future. Neat feature. Where can I buy one?

OK. I'll give you that. Now lets discuss what could or did cause the fire.

If it started at an outlet it is most likely the homeowner's problem. I highly doubt if the wiring that you did cause a fire.

My camera is not for sale. It is one of a kind.

What if you hung a PF for a homeowner. Can you tell if a licenced contractor installed the wiring? There is always a chance to be sued.

480sparky

................If it started at an outlet it is most likely the homeowner's problem. I highly doubt if the wiring that you did cause a fire. ......

Here, I roughed this outlet in......... tell me my work won't start a fire.

DSC05842a.jpg

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Here, I roughed this outlet in......... tell me my work won't start a fire.

DSC05842a.jpg

OK. It will NOT start a fire.

Just a fun jab here: I would have installed the wire coming from the right over the on on the left. ;)

It also looks like you overcube your boxes, I never install 18 CU IN boxes.

Are both of the EGCs 6" long?

Status
Not open for further replies.