Article 230 (concerning acceptable overhead service pole construction)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am upgrading a service pole directly to 200A meter base. I have read through Art. 230 and additional references. The existing pole is rigid emt. Is there a section in the code which states that rigid emt must be used in lieu of emt? This is a commercial location where service is in a well protected alcove. Would this possibly be a city req. to use rigid emt in this case? Thank you for your time gentlemen.

Just asking for some direction on NEC interpretation

Just asking for some direction on NEC interpretation

I am a junior member and in no way claim to be a master electrician. I am however trying to learn complete and proper code interpretation and implementation. Any direction given will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

pete m.

For what it's worth EMT and RMC are two different types of material. EMT is covered in section 358 and RMC is covered in section 344.

Assuming that the service drop is overhead you will want to review 230.28 for some guidance in the material to be used. The NEC does not specify that RMC is to be used but at least in my area the POCO mandates the use of 2 1/2" RMC at a minimum.

Pete

Last edited:

jwjrw

Each POCO has their own requirements. We have a 2" rigid requirement if we penetrate a roof. Otherwise we can use emt or pvc for risers. I have seen treated 4x4's used here in remote locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.