Pool GFCI Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortcircuit2

Would a 2-pole 60amp GFCI circuit breaker on the feeder supplying a sub panel that provides the power for all pool equipment such as filter pumps, pool lights and the required receptacle be code compliant as far as the GFCI protection? (There would be standard type non-gfci breakers used to supply power from the sub panel to the pump, light and receptacle.)

shortcircuit

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is a bad idea, IMO. Troubleshooting will not be fun

Also look at 680.23(A)(3) That section calls for gfci protection in the branch circuit. You are installing it on the feeder. IMO, it is a violation but am not sure what difference it would make.

pete m.

It is a bad idea, IMO. Troubleshooting will not be fun

Also look at 680.23(A)(3) That section calls for gfci protection in the branch circuit. You are installing it on the feeder. IMO, it is a violation but am not sure what difference it would make.

I agree with Dennis. Remember that any ground fault leakage current will be cumulative on the 60 amp feeder GFCI breaker.

Pete

shortcircuit2

Ok...what if it is a 12 volt light. The intermatic instructions call for GFCI protection in the "Supply Circuit"...not the branch circuit.

See here...

http://www.inyopools.com/manuals/238/intermatic_px100.pdf

Then in 680.22(B)...well the wording seems to imply GFCI protection for branch circuits to pool pump motor outlets...but direct connection shall have GFCI protection, but not specifically in the branch circuit?

Well I agree it seems to be a terrible set up for trouble shooting...but is it safe and code compliant?

thanks for the feedback...

shortcircuit

dbuckley

In 2003 the New Zealand wiring regs introduced the requirement that outlets in a dwelling were protected by at least one RCD (GFCI). Of course, what we got were lots of installations where there was one RCD for the whole house, and so one trip and out went all the lights, and all the sockets. A totally dumbass regulation.

The latest edition requires once RCD feed a maximul of three circuits.

Oh the horrors of minimally compliant installations....

But yes, I believe the installation as specified to be safe, and compliant within the intention of the code.

tls

Would a 2-pole 60amp GFCI circuit breaker on the feeder supplying a sub panel that provides the power for all pool equipment such as filter pumps, pool lights and the required receptacle be code compliant as far as the GFCI protection? (There would be standard type non-gfci breakers used to supply power from the sub panel to the pump, light and receptacle.)

shortcircuit

In practice, this is likely to be uneconomical, because 60A 2-pole GCFI breakers are both expensive and a little strange (you can't hang 120 loads off them), while boxes like this: http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 for the far end of the feeder are so cheap.

Ironically, last time I peeked at one of those "GE" (Midwest is a GE subsidiary) spa disconnect panels the supplied 60A GFCI breaker was a Siemens, I believe. The whole panel was about 1/4 the price of the breaker. But I have seen other brands of breaker in there, too, I believe in the same part number Midwest disconnect, so I suppose they are free to use any listed 60A GFCI breaker they care to have tested in their panel and can get at a price they like...

electures

shortcircuit

How about installing a non GFI breaker on the feeder and depending on what size the pump motor is, install a 25A breaker (GFI not required) in the subpanel. Install the GFI outlet at the subpanel and use it to protect the light.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I think that's the way to do it, especially if you have multiple pumps. The 50A GFCI's seem to be the cheapest if you pick them up in a pool pack. Use that 50A GFCI as the structure disconnect, or as a feeder breaker to a pump and receptacle panel. The light is the only pain -- needs branch circuit GFCI protection unless you can go with low voltage lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.