20KW generator install

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am fairly new to the contracting industry and have little experience pricing generator installs. I've done standby generator installs before, but never working for myself. I know the installation and code requirements etc. I just wanted to know what the average installation would cost? I figured with a 20 KW Generac Guardian series with a 200Amp ATS it would be around $7,200 for everything. This includes moving the meterbase two feet to the left to allow for ATS mounting. The panel is directly behind the meterbase. Customer wants the generator about 25' away from meterbase. I think its a good price considering the size of the generator. Whats your opinion?

ceb58

I am fairly new to the contracting industry and have little experience pricing generator installs. I've done standby generator installs before, but never working for myself. I know the installation and code requirements etc. I just wanted to know what the average installation would cost? I figured with a 20 KW Generac Guardian series with a 200Amp ATS it would be around $7,200 for everything. This includes moving the meterbase two feet to the left to allow for ATS mounting. The panel is directly behind the meterbase. Customer wants the generator about 25' away from meterbase. I think its a good price considering the size of the generator. Whats your opinion?

My opinion is if you supply the gen. and ATS and do the install for $7200.00. Then I will hire you and sit back and watch TV and make $2500.00 per install.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Keep in mind the costs of connecting the fuel line too if it is natural gas or propane (if you are doing a turnkey install). With a 20 Kw on natural gas, will likely require a upgrade to a 5 psi meter if it is not already one. This would require new regulators for the exsisting appliances.

gen install

gen install

I'm not sure where you are, and what labor rates are but, it sounds low, real low. Are you furnishing the equipment? the slab or stone dust base? Are you doing the start up?
Do you have to move this thing to the site?
Gas?
Battery?
Dont low ball. You will pay in the long run and degrade your trade for yourself and others along the way.
We recentley did a 20. We sub-ed the piping, slab,trenching/lanscaping both worth a combined 8-9K and we got 30K for the job, and the electrical was very straight forward, ats at the meter.

ty

Price dedinately seems low.
Is this an Eaton supplied Generac generation 3? Or a lowes or home depot generac? There is a difference.
And what brand of transfwr switch? That would be a service entrance rated switch, don't forget and if its outside, its going to be 3R rated.
Also, are you under the 2008 NEC?

I would not commit to that job for that price if you are providing a complete "turn key, soup to nuts" installation. You should secure quotes for generator(including frt), ats, fuel gas work, and concrete slab. Estimate your labor hours and calculate this cost. Other expenses to include equipment to set generator, landscaping, plans, notice to owner and commencement, permit fees, battery,excavation/backfill,genset startup(if by others),etc..

krisinjersey

20 kw

20 kw

I just did this price for a customer so I'll put in my 2 cents. Generac 20kw with transfer switch, outside pad (concrete), Gas connection to local bottle, no relocation of meter pan. $10,500. That includes the startup and first maintenance. Relo the meter pan is the same price as replacing a top half in my opinion, so I'd price that at $550. And you would get the job, but I'll keep my building and business.
Don't sell yourself short to get the job.

20 kw install

20 kw install

The unit is a Guradian series bought with lift gate delivery directly from Generac and the ATS is a NEMA 3R enclosure. Don't think it is Eaton though? Should be the same as Home Dept. I'm not familiar with the gas installation, so I will leave it up to the local gas company. I figured installing on a gravel bed, instead of a concrete pad, since its not required. Or is that a bad idea? My price includes the install and start-up only. I will offer the service and maintanence for additional price. When giving a quote, do you guys list your selling price for the generator? 35% mark up sound right? or do you just give the total? Do you guys break down all costs on the quote? I know the customer has done pricing, so I don't want to raise a red flag. Would you try to get a portion of the money up front, before ordering the generator? Is that a smart idea? I know in central VA, union electricians make about $28 per hour. Most contractors charge +/- $80 per hour for service calls. I don't see how someone could charge $30K for a residential install. Thanks for your opinions so far.

I don't have specific experience with quoting genset installs, but for quotes, I usually get my labor hours and add in somewhere between 10-50%, depending on the size of the job and how much info I have on it at the time of the quote. There will always be some unforseen hassle to account for.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
i don't know what they are doing now with the Generacs, but they used to come with the composite pad up to a 17 kW, you would need to pour a pad for any larger of a unit.

The unit is a Guradian series bought with lift gate delivery directly from Generac and the ATS is a NEMA 3R enclosure. Don't think it is Eaton though? Should be the same as Home Dept. I'm not familiar with the gas installation, so I will leave it up to the local gas company. I figured installing on a gravel bed, instead of a concrete pad, since its not required. Or is that a bad idea? My price includes the install and start-up only. I will offer the service and maintanence for additional price. When giving a quote, do you guys list your selling price for the generator? 35% mark up sound right? or do you just give the total? Do you guys break down all costs on the quote? I know the customer has done pricing, so I don't want to raise a red flag. Would you try to get a portion of the money up front, before ordering the generator? Is that a smart idea? I know in central VA, union electricians make about $28 per hour. Most contractors charge +/- $80 per hour for service calls. I don't see how someone could charge $30K for a residential install. Thanks for your opinions so far.

Keep in mind the 30k included trenching and underground gas piping50' or so from the meter, a slab, permits, coordination of all subs, its not unusual in this area.

Sorry didnt think of this.

I have not become a generac dealer because I seem to get better pricing on-line? do you mind sharing what you paid for the package?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I figured with a 20 KW Generac Guardian series with a 200Amp ATS it would be around $7,200 for everything.

we've got a 25kw on order right now for an install, and i believe i sold it around $14k installed. same 200A ats, and the cost difference between the 20 and 25 is about $1300 if i remember correctly. i'm just going from memory but our cost on the ats was about $800, and the 25kw was probably $4500, maybe less. i can't remember the exact price but those numbers seem close.

there is no gas work included in that price. customer has to get someone else out to run the gas lines and set regulator next to pad. we'll hook it up with a short flex line from the regulator to the genny.

i don't break down cost of generator and labor for customer; the price simply is what it is. and we take 50% of job total up-front before we order a generator.

lowest i can remember doing a 20kw for was about $10.5k, and that was a new construction residential so the service was already built for the generator, and gas was there waiting.

ceb58

OK lift gate delivery is good except you will still probably need to move it to its permanent location. How? Small boom truck, or a lot of man power.

Put it on a pad. Most will come with a composite pad.

Let the customer deal with the gas line.

As far as the rest give a total price, dont give the customer line items to try and pick apart. As far as mark up you must remember if any thing goes wrong with the unit you will be the first the HO will call. If it is a warranty issue the HO will be looking at you to get it fixed. Then you will need to find an authorised service dealer because Generac wont even talk to you.

As far as price I still think you are way low. If you have (your cost) $5000.00 in it with a 35% mark up you come up with $6750 that only leaves $450.00. The $450.00 now has to provide set up, trenching, conduit, wire, pulling in the wire and hook up. If the ATS is not service rated then you will have to have a service disco. and a disco. for the gen. and install and hook up. Remember you may have to provide 3 conduits. 1 for the power,1 for control wire ( some run it with power, I dont) and 1 for charger/block heater.

Unless you have a lot of money to tie up and know exactly who you are dealing with I would get at least the cost of the gen.+ mark up before I ordered the unit. And that would be stated in the contract.

After you break every thing down with the time and labor involved for this unit $11500.00-12,000.00 would be reasonable.

ty

The unit does not typically come with a battery depending where you purchase(and for guardian models, usually no oil installed)

I recently completed an Eaton and Generac certifiacation course and am now qualified to do warranty service

What code cycle are you under? The 2008 had changes to automatic gen set installs that might be affecting the outcome of your inspection and liability risk, as well as warranty.

20kw

20kw

In my area they are using the 2005 NEC code. Generac offered 20KW with the 200 amp SE ATS for a one time only @ $3900. I figured this to be a two day job with one helper. I've got access to a boom truck to set the gen in place.

For the smaller units, do you really need a concrete pad? Just trying to cut cost...If the ATS has a breaker (disconnect) in the transfer switch, under the 2005 NEC im not required to install an addtion disconnect...right?

Does anyone know an esitmate cost of the two day Generac air-cooled training class? I'm considering taking the class to provide dealer warranty service.

Thanks for all the help guys!

ceb58

In my area they are using the 2005 NEC code. Generac offered 20KW with the 200 amp SE ATS for a one time only @ $3900. I figured this to be a two day job with one helper. I've got access to a boom truck to set the gen in place.

For the smaller units, do you really need a concrete pad? Just trying to cut cost...If the ATS has a breaker (disconnect) in the transfer switch, under the 2005 NEC im not required to install an addtion disconnect...right?

Does anyone know an esitmate cost of the two day Generac air-cooled training class? I'm considering taking the class to provide dealer warranty service.

Thanks for all the help guys!

OK at $3900.00 + 35% gives you $5265. Now you have a little over $1900.00 for the rest.

IMO not putting it on a pad is a bad idea. During time and vibration the gen. will settle which could cause stretching or kinking of wire or gas line.

You are requried to have a service disconnect and a disconnect for the gen. I have been told the SE rated ATS only have the service disconnect for the utility in them so you would need a disco. for the gen.

As far as training it is not cheep and Generac requires YOU to stock $$$$$$ worth of parts. If you get a call for service they pay you a flat rate and will replace the bad part that you used from your inventory. THEY tell YOU what to stock and if you do not have the part the first time out to repair it they will not pay for the return trip. The only way you make money is if the unit is out of warranty. Then you charge X$ for the service call and parts with a giant markup.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
As far as training it is not cheep and Generac requires YOU to stock $$$$$$ worth of parts. If you get a call for service they pay you a flat rate and will replace the bad part that you used from your inventory. THEY tell YOU what to stock and if you do not have the part the first time out to repair it they will not pay for the return trip. The only way you make money is if the unit is out of warranty. Then you charge X$ for the service call and parts with a giant markup.

well they try.

if you're willing to bend over for them they're more than willing to stick it to you.

20 kw install

20 kw install

If the generator has a circuit breaker on the unit, do you need a disconnect mounted before the ATS? The new generators have a hatch door for the breaker access. I would if the generator is within site of the service this should be okay. I believe most ATS only have a breaker on the utiliy side of the switch.

ceb58

If the generator has a circuit breaker on the unit, do you need a disconnect mounted before the ATS? The new generators have a hatch door for the breaker access. I would if the generator is within site of the service this should be okay. I believe most ATS only have a breaker on the utiliy side of the switch.

A lot will depend on the AHJ. It has been discussed before but the chance the breaker will comply with 445.18 or 225.36 is slim.

Status
Not open for further replies.