Outdoor patio

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a three story house, has second and third floor balconies, walk area on decks are waterproofed and underneath ceilings are closed. Have wiring for lights and fans in ceiling. Inspector saying that the wiring has to be UF cable because it is in damp location. Is this true? What code is it? Another question same scenario, open ceiling do we have to run UF? Another question sleeves for wiring residential center island and floor receptacle inspector says cannot run Romex and conduit due to condensation. Any help would be appreciated.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
On a three story house, has second and third floor balconies, walk area on decks are waterproofed and underneath ceilings are closed. Have wiring for lights and fans in ceiling. Inspector saying that the wiring has to be UF cable because it is in damp location. Is this true? What code is it? Another question same scenario, open ceiling do we have to run UF? Another question sleeves for wiring residential center island and floor receptacle inspector says cannot run Romex and conduit due to condensation. Any help would be appreciated.

Slab floor?

raider1

Staff member
On a three story house, has second and third floor balconies, walk area on decks are waterproofed and underneath ceilings are closed. Have wiring for lights and fans in ceiling. Inspector saying that the wiring has to be UF cable because it is in damp location. Is this true? What code is it?

There has been a debate lately about whether or not this location would require UF cable.

Another question same scenario, open ceiling do we have to run UF?

Open ceiling I would say yes it would be a damp location and you could not use NM cable.

Another question sleeves for wiring residential center island and floor receptacle inspector says cannot run Romex and conduit due to condensation. Any help would be appreciated.

Slab on grade where the PVC sleeves run underground would be considered a wet location and NM cable could not be used. See 300.5(B).

Chris

macmikeman

There has been a debate lately about whether or not this location would require UF cable.

Open ceiling I would say yes it would be a damp location and you could not use NM cable.

Chris

Not to target anybody on a personal level, my response is directed to all who have left sanity behind while focusing entirely on a badly written definition of "Damp Location" in the code, to redefine exposed romex indoors in dry locations or romex installed in covered and sealed ceilings of outdoor projections as damp therefore not allowed - You guys have gone entirely nuts.

Here is my projection for the future of where this will lead. NM cable will now be sold in hermetically sealed containers. Upon opening the package containing the roll of wire it will be exposed to humidity, and at that point it must be disposed of prior to any attempts to install it....

raider1

Staff member
Not to target anybody on a personal level, my response is directed to all who have left sanity behind while focusing entirely on a badly written definition of "Damp Location" in the code, to redefine exposed romex indoors in dry locations or romex installed in covered and sealed ceilings of outdoor projections as damp therefore not allowed - You guys have gone entirely nuts.

Here is my projection for the future of where this will lead. NM cable will now be sold in hermetically sealed containers. Upon opening the package containing the roll of wire it will be exposed to humidity, and at that point it must be disposed of prior to any attempts to install it....

For what it is worth I agree that in the first example NM cable installed in an enclosed roof/floor assembly would not be in a damp location.:)

Chris

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Does this apply to your installation?

" Running Type NM-B cable outdoors is apparently still a question in the minds of many installers.

If NM cable is run under the shelter of a patio roof or in an overhang where it?s not subject to mechanical damage and not out in the weather, then it should be fine, right? Also, if the NM cable is run in a metal conduit outdoors and isn?t subject to the weather, what would be wrong with that?

Hey man, are you asking or telling? NEC 334.12(B)(4) is very clear. Type NM cable shall not be used in wet or damp locations. Under a patio roof or in an overhang is a damp location. Before you consider running NM cable in a metal conduit, check the raceway articles under 342.22, 344.22 and 358.22. They all say, ?Cables shall be permitted to be installed where such use is not prohibited by the cable article.? Type NM cable cannot be run in any raceway, other than using the raceway as a sleeve for protection in accordance with 334.15(B) and 300.154(C)."

As to the island I agree with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.