Range install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barndog

I am doing a Range install where we are converting from gas to electric. I have to run new wire from panel to range approx. 50 feet. The intall sheet says use a cord rated at 40 or 50 Amps. my question is the nameplate on the range is 12.9kw and at 240v that is 53 amps. am i ok with using 8/3 wire along with a 50 amp 2 pole breaker in the panel? The range is a double oven and it is a Maytag.

Thanks in advance for your help

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If using 8/3 NM cable you're limited to a 40 amp OCPD. For 8/3 MC cable you can use a 50 amp OCPD. A single 50 amp receptacle is permitted on either the 40 or 50 amp circuit. How did you come up with 53 amps?

Barndog

If using 8/3 NM cable you're limited to a 40 amp OCPD. For 8/3 MC cable you can use a 50 amp OCPD. A single 50 amp receptacle is permitted on either the 40 or 50 amp circuit. How did you come up with 53 amps?

i took 12.9kw/240v= 53 amps.

So you are saying i should run 6/3 NM cable and a 50 Amp breaker. Sorry i dont do to much Residental work. I do mostley Industrial work.

kbsparky

According to table 220.55, you can apply a demand factor to that appliance to determine the branch circuit load.

One range at 12 kW is listed only needing a circuit capable of supplying 8 kW.
If you're over 12 kW, note 1 says to add 5% for each kW or fraction above 12.

That equals 8.4 kW. Divide that by the nominal supply voltage of 240, and you end up with 35 Amps.

A 40 Amp circuit is sufficient for this appliance.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
If this is a range (contains cooktop burners and an oven), you are permitted to use a 40A circuit because of the fact that the burners and oven all cycle on and off. The probability of everything being turned on at once and staying on for any significant time is low.

There is a table in the NEC you can use to size the branch circuit (somewhere in 210 I think). It would have an equivalent load of about 8800 watts, so a 40A circuit is fine.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
According to table 220.55, you can apply a demand factor to that appliance to determine the branch circuit load.

One range at 12 kW is listed only needing a circuit capable of supplying 8 kW.
If you're over 12 kW, note 1 says to add 5% for each kW or fraction above 12.

That equals 8.4 kW. Divide that by the nominal supply voltage of 240, and you end up with 35 Amps.

A 40 Amp circuit is sufficient for this appliance.

Yup, that's why I asked how he did his calculation. I have heard some opine that this doesn't apply to the branch circuit but I disagree.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
i took 12.9kw/240v= 53 amps.

So you are saying i should run 6/3 NM cable and a 50 Amp breaker. Sorry i dont do to much Residental work. I do mostley Industrial work.

You could use 8/3 NM, 40 amp OCPD, 50 amp receptacle, 50 amp cord.

kbsparky

Yup, that's why I asked how he did his calculation. I have heard some opine that this doesn't apply to the branch circuit but I disagree.
Note 4 plainly states:

4. Branch-Circuit Load It shall be permissible to calculate the branch-circuit load for one range in accordance with table 220.55...

Did those who opine this read the notes to table 220.55?

Barndog

Again thanks to all of you for you help. Yes this is a residential app. I figured I was doing something wrong on my calculations. Like I said I do industrial most of the time. Again a big thank you to all of you there is a weath of knowelge in this forum and check this out almost every day.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Again thanks to all of you for you help. Yes this is a residential app. I figured I was doing something wrong on my calculations. Like I said I do industrial most of the time. Again a big thank you to all of you there is a weath of knowelge in this forum and check this out almost every day.

Don't thank me I can't even read. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.