Grounding sprinkler pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
We went through this a few years back on a job in TN and the Sate Fire Marshall cited an NFPA Code that made it a violation to use the sprinkler as a ground. I don't have the referecne handy. but I will try to find it.
edit to add:
My memory is that the wording is strange,,,,
You might refer to this post:
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=124625&highlight=sprinkler

as noted, the NFPA section they quoted said you can not use it as an electrode, but it should be bonded. Not sure how you accomplish bonding without it becoming an electrode.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Not sure how you accomplish bonding without it becoming an electrode.
I've said the same thing about gas piping. Supposedly, the gas line has an isolating joint in it.

Who's supposed to make sure the gas piping does, and do sprinkler pipes have them?

John120/240

Wouldn't the sprinkler pipe be already bonded by default due to it's means

of installation. Usually hung by beam clamps & all thread. Granted beam

clamps are not rated to carry fault current.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Sprinkler pipes are unintentionally bonded in many places esp. when pumps are involved. However the fire code, I believe, as Gus is referring to, may have a say in bonding the pipe.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Wouldn't the sprinkler pipe be already bonded by default due to it's means

of installation. Usually hung by beam clamps & all thread. Granted beam

clamps are not rated to carry fault current.

Good point.

Sprinkler pipes are unintentionally bonded in many places esp. when pumps are involved. However the fire code, I believe, as Gus is referring to, may have a say in bonding the pipe.

I say they have no say in bonding. They may as to 'grounding'.

hurk27

Here the Sprinkler and the water main is one in the same, they will bring in a 4" to 6" and then tap the Potable water off ahead of the check valves, and we bond for electrode street side of the check valves, but I have been required to jumper across a plastic clapper valve on a dry systems before price 2 6" grounding clamps:mad:. the water meters for both potable and sprinkler are the copper X yoke for all the ones I have seen, so no jumping them.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Good point.

I say they have no say in bonding. They may as to 'grounding'.
Why do you say that. If there is no dielectric fitting to separate their pipe from the interior piping and being used as an electrode, then I believe they do have a say. The gas companies wont let you bond their pipe coming in from the street.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Why do you say that. If there is no dielectric fitting to separate their pipe from the interior piping and being used as an electrode, then I believe they do have a say. The gas companies wont let you bond their pipe coming in from the street.

Correct. If they want to have the pipe isolated they can prohibit grounding not bonding.

For gas. Bonding at or after the meter not before. Most is plastic today anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.