Taping (Identifying) ungrounded #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

I'm unsure if this is a dumb question or not. Lets say you pull two black #6's to be used as ungrounded conductors, can you tape one of them another color such as red?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You can.
If you happen to have more than one voltage system serving the premises you might look at 210.5

jetlag

I'm unsure if this is a dumb question or not. Lets say you pull two black #6's to be used as ungrounded conductors, can you tape one of them another color such as red?

Red and orange is not the best choice because it is used for other things. And white and green are no no . Lets see how about pink :grin::grin:

mark32

Red and orange is not the best choice because it is used for other things. And white and green are no no . Lets see how about pink :grin::grin:

Thanks for the replies. I wonder what makes red a poor choice to color an ungrounded conductor? Please explain.

Thanks for the comments Larry.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Not sure

nfpa 79
Black = ungrounded ac/dc power conductor
Red = ungrounded ac control conductor
Blue = ungrounded dc control conductor
How would the information in NFPA 79 apply to a building wiring system that is covered by NFPA 70?

NFPA 79 Scope.
1.1* Scope. 1.1.1 The provisions of this standard shall apply to the electrical/electronic equipment, apparatus, or systems of industrial machines operating from a nominal voltage of 600 volts or less, and commencing at the point of connection of the supply to the electrical equipment of the machine. 1.1.2 This standard shall not include the additional requirements for machines intended for use in hazardous (classified) locations.

mark32

OK, let me simplify this hypothetical question. You want to feed some piece of equipment in a residential dwelling that needs 240v. You install a raceway and then realize you only have the appropriately sized wires in black, white (if needed) and green (If needed). Instead of running out to the store, you pull in two lengths of black (#6) and wrap some red tape around the ends of one run. This, that has been stated earlier, would be code compliant.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
OK, let me simplify this hypothetical question. You want to feed some piece of equipment in a residential dwelling that needs 240v. You install a raceway and then realize you only have the appropriately sized wires in black, white (if needed) and green (If needed). Instead of running out to the store, you pull in two lengths of black (#6) and wrap some red tape around the ends of one run. This, that has been stated earlier, would be code compliant.

your compliant to use red on the ungrounded conductors. There would only be an issue if you were re-identifying the white (or a black #6 or smaller to white) not that the world would stop spinning if you did.

As per your explanation, 200.7(C)(1)-(3) would not permit this type of identification.

your compliant to use red on the ungrounded conductors. There would only be an issue if you were re-identifying the white (or a black #6 or smaller to white) not that the world would stop spinning if you did.

The world would only slow down for a fraction of a second, probably throwing millions of people into outer space.That is okay, as the population is getting out of control anyway...;):D

kwired

Electron manager

You could pull the two #6 blacks and not mark them at all if you wish, especially for a 2 wire 240 volt AC circuit. Why would you need to know which one is which? If they get swapped the load will still work the same.

kwired

Electron manager
As per your explanation, 200.7(C)(1)-(3) would not permit this type of identification.

The world would only slow down for a fraction of a second, probably throwing millions of people into outer space.That is okay, as the population is getting out of control anyway...;):D

He was not saying he was re identifying the white he just mentioned running two blacks and red taping one of them and running a white if it is needed and a green if it is needed

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector

The smart ones would hold onto something.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
I just ran 60 amps to my "shed" last week all the wire was black, I did id the neut. with blue tape; the "shed" promptly burned to the ground after turning on the power. I think I might go back and retape the 100 amp sub feeder to the new pan. in my basement before my house burns down, again only had blue tape. (true only no fire).

Yes, you can use any color but white ,gray, green to id your wire; also you can use 1,2,3,A,B,C
Flag of black tape/no flag

billsnuff

How would the information in NFPA 79 apply to a building wiring system that is covered by NFPA 70?

It wouldn't. I guess because I work industrial manufacturing, I considered it a possibility, 'cause it wasn't clarified here.

Lets say you pull two black #6's to be used as ungrounded conductors, can you tape one of them another color such as red?

I'll try to limit my answers to the current version of the NEC, whether it applies to the OP or not. :D

Last edited:

jetlag

Thanks for the replies. I wonder what makes red a poor choice to color an ungrounded conductor? Please explain.

Thanks for the comments Larry.

I just never liked to use colors that are used to identify other things , red is used in different places in code. Read these for other colors , 110.15 orange, 504.80 light blue , 517.160 (5) orange, brown .

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You could pull the two #6 blacks and not mark them at all if you wish, especially for a 2 wire 240 volt AC circuit. Why would you need to know which one is which? If they get swapped the load will still work the same.

Exactly.

Roger

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I just never liked to use colors that are used to identify other things , red is used in different places in code. Read these for other colors , 110.15 orange, 504.80 light blue , 517.160 (5) orange, brown .

I have never wired a building that red was not commonly used. What colors do you use to identify 208/120 3 phase feeders and branch circuits? What do you use for 12/3 NM or MC?

Status
Not open for further replies.