Submersible pump in mechanic shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzclark

I had a call on Friday night about wiring a submersible pump in a mechanics shop. The pump will be located in a pit which the vechiles drive over similar to what's in your local oil change shop. My question is with the chance of gasoline and other flammables getting into the sump hole should the pump be designed for hazardous location?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I had a call on Friday night about wiring a submersible pump in a mechanics shop. The pump will be located in a pit which the vechiles drive over similar to what's in your local oil change shop. My question is with the chance of gasoline and other flammables getting into the sump hole should the pump be designed for hazardous location?

Look at Table 514.3(B)(1):)

Welcome to the forum.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Let me add my welcome too :)
Two things you should be aware of: One, the ECM article is from 2003 and there have been significant changes to NEC Article 511 since then. Two, since you list Vancouver, Canada as your location the Candian Electrical Code applies, not the NEC. While the two codes are similar, they are still sufficently different that your installation will be affected.

tzclark

Thanks, I am aware, I just wanted an opinion or two. I left my code book at my warehouse so I couldnt look up the answer myself so I thought I would ask so I could give a price over the weekend. Thanks for the help. In Canada air changes or not mechanic pit is class 1 div 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.