Old work steel boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

juptonstone

U-Support?

U-Support?

I'm not sure what the metal thing off the side is... I never use the boxes with the built in "screw" type supports on the sides... I always have used the standard metal box with Madison bars... super tight fit and never comes loose!

dlhoule

Plaster Walls

Plaster Walls

I do a lot of work with wood lath and plaster walls. Frequently between the the lath and plaster the ear of Madison clamp is not long enough to use this method. However, I can usually chip out some plaster and use both the clamps and some small wood screws for mounting with an extension added to the box to get out flush with wall.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Frequently between the the lath and plaster the ear of Madison clamp is not long enough to use this method.
One can fold four Madisons into two extended Madisons . . . I'll get a photo in a bit.

220/221

I used madison straps......in 1975

The tiger grips are too much to fuss with as the wires interfere with the clamps.

The other style of side support box seeks to leave too big of a hole.

The only decent metal box I've seen has the clamp toggle things at the two corners, similar to a plastic cut in box. I can't remember the mfg/model # but they are as good as it gets.

Pretty much the only box I float is an occaisional switch box. A recep needs to be more secure IMO.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've mounted steel old-work boxes the old-fashioned way. I exposed the wood lath above and below the box hole, turned the top and bottom ears around to bring the face of the box flush, and drove small sheet-metal screws into pilot-drilled holes in the lath.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
One can fold four Madisons into two extended Madisons.
EZEinExtensionsweb.jpg

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Wow, thanks for sharing Al...I'll be sure to use that in the future. Lots of wood lathe and plaster around here, some of it with drywall screwed into that!

Status
Not open for further replies.