Ice Cube

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Should I read continuity through the control contacts of an ice cube as I would through the coil of a contactor?

Thanks

cadpoint

I'd say it depends on the controller. Note the directional throws in the lower contact, I found it using "diagram 700-ha32a1" which came up twice in the same search for "Diagram Electric ice cube" - control4.jpg

StephenSDH

You should read a resistance value of the coil. Say 500 ohms.

The NO contacts should read open when not energized, and approx 0 ohms when energized.

The NC contacts should read approx 0 ohms when not energized, and open when energized.

If you have an SCR instead of a standard relay you will likely see some large kohm value when deenergized.

I am not sure if this is what you are asking.

kwired

Electron manager
If it is an electromagnetic relay, it is simply a smaller version of the contactor you were comparing to in the OP. If it is a solid state device it will depend on how it is designed, and could have continuity one way, reverse your meter leads and it may not have continuity.

gar

Occupation
EE
101109-2114 EST

chris:

Please define what is your Ice Cube, mfg and part number.

If it is like a Potter & Brumfield KUP 11 D15 24 V DC, then it has a transparent cover, and looking thru the side you will see the coil. The wires from the coil go to terminals A and B. This is a DPDT relay with break before make contacts. One set of contacts is labeled 1, 4, and 7. Pin 7 is one common pole that switches between pin 1 and pin 4. Pin 1 to 7 is the normally closed set and 4 to 7 is the normally open set. All this you can see looking thru the side. A sample 24 V DC unit has a coil resistance of 467 ohms. This is non-latching and requires continuous coil excitation to keep the NO contacts closed. Pull-in is about 17 V and drop-out about 5 V.

Status
Not open for further replies.