tamper proof receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
And any in wet locations would need to be tamper resistant and weather resistant.

You know that one could argue that only the outside ones required by 210.52 would need TR. Now how do we determine which ones they would be? :grin:

The 2011 has made a change but I am still using them everywhere. Why bother to change styles.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You know that one could argue that only the outside ones required by 210.52 would need TR. Now how do we determine which ones they would be? :grin:

The 2011 has made a change but I am still using them everywhere. Why bother to change styles.

Where is the change in the 2011?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Where is the change in the 2011?

I didn't mean changes in the outside ones. But...

The exception to 406.12 -- Receptacles mounted more than 5 1/2' above the floor and others.

406.12 Tamper-Resistant Receptacles in Dwelling Units.
In all areas specified in 210.52, all nonlocking-type 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles shall be listed tamper-resistant receptacles.
Exception: Receptacles in the following locations shall not be required to be tamper-resistant:
(1) Receptacles located more than 1.7 m (51⁄2 ft) above the floor.
(2) Receptacles that are part of a luminaire or appliance.
(3) A single receptacle or a duplex receptacle for two appliances located within dedicated space for each appliance that, in normal use, is not easily moved from one
place to another and that is cord-and-plug connected in accordance with 400.7(A)(6), (A)(7), or (A)(8).
(4) Nongrounding receptacles used for replacements as permitted in 406.4(D)(2)(a).

ceb58

I didn't mean changes in the outside ones. But...

The exception to 406.12 -- Receptacles mounted more than 5 1/2' above the floor and others.

I wonder how an inspector would rule on exception 3 if you used a duplex for a dedicated run for the refg. with nothing else plugged into it.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I wonder how an inspector would rule on exception 3 if you used a duplex for a dedicated run for the refg. with nothing else plugged into it.
I think, if seen, and without a second appliance plugged into the second receptacle of the duplex, the inspector would cite you, using this section, and say you have to install a single receptacle at the outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.