Wireless Interconnect Hardwired Smokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguy8169

Have a project coming up to install new 120v smokes that are interconnected. Saw on Kidde site they have some that are wireless, never used them and could not tell by the manual on the site if they would do what I need. The way they put it they seem to be for use when you have both battery and hardwire you replace one hardwire with the wireless and the battery smokes with the wireless and this way you have the interconnection. (Hope this makes sense) Well I am going to hardwire all the smokes but would save a good bit of time and wiremold if I could just tap off a rec in each area and use the wireless interconnect rather than run the interconnecting conductor. (again hope I am clear)

Anyhow, last part of my question is the city's code reads "All new smoke and CO alarms shall be hardwired with battery backup and interconnected within the dwelling unit only" so being that this is a multi family dwelling three floors, does the whole building need to be interconnected , or only each unit (way I read it each unit should be interconnected seperately) thus it would not work to use the wireless.

Thanks

fireryan

I dont believe your allowed to tap of a recpt. I believe it has to be a lighting circuit. Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong
Sec 1202.5 says "Smoke detectors shall not be connected as the only load on a branch circuit. Such detectors shall be supplied by branch circuits having lighting loads consisting of lighting outlets in habitable spaces".

Last edited:

wireguy8169

I dont believe your allowed to tap of a recpt. I believe it has to be a lighting circuit. Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong
Sec 1202.5 says "Smoke detectors shall not be connected as the only load on a branch circuit. Such detectors shall be supplied by branch circuits having lighting loads consisting of lighting outlets in habitable spaces".

I have seen something similar to that but not sure where 1202.5 is from, my recollection is that it can be on any non switched circuit of the "general lighting" load (could be more than one circuit) which if I understand it correctly could be a rec circuit, just not for instance the small appliance ciruit or a kitchen counter circuit??? Thanks

and thanks for the insight to the dip switches....(me=mc pulled)

GUNNING

alarm control panel

alarm control panel

Since its multi dwelling (three or more apartments or units) I would think the whole building would need to be protected. You need to talk to the AHJ. Here, If there are no smokes installed you don't have to install any or just 9 volt battery ones. It directly depends on how much remodeling is done.
Since the AHJ has an opinion on what is to be installed I would say they have rules you would need to follow. These might include a control panel and signaling system detectors battery backup with a house panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.