Is shore power required for Marina docks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glaec

New to marina work, I was asked to design replacement electric for an existing dock which has junction box above the deck with a standard 20A GFCI receptacles in an "in-use" enclosure, each serving 2 boat slips.

I am thinking of using Marina pedestals with built-in 20A GFCI receptacles and water spigot, Article 555.19 calls out requirements for (A) "Shore Power Receptacles" and (B) "Other than Shore Power Receptacles". I interpret that as having the option of using a pedestal without shore power and thus not having to comply with (A).

Are there additional requirements besides marking "not for shore power" to prevent end-users from modifying receptacles to plug-in shore power cords into a 20A GFCI receptacle?

jetlag

New to marina work, I was asked to design replacement electric for an existing dock which has junction box above the deck with a standard 20A GFCI receptacles in an "in-use" enclosure, each serving 2 boat slips.

I am thinking of using Marina pedestals with built-in 20A GFCI receptacles and water spigot, Article 555.19 calls out requirements for (A) "Shore Power Receptacles" and (B) "Other than Shore Power Receptacles". I interpret that as having the option of using a pedestal without shore power and thus not having to comply with (A).

Are there additional requirements besides marking "not for shore power" to prevent end-users from modifying receptacles to plug-in shore power cords into a 20A GFCI receptacle?

Why would you want a non shore power in the area where people need shore power ? , some boats use 30 or 50 amp . :-?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
You cant plug boats into non shore power GFCI recepts , they are just for general out door use
Lacking designated shore power receptacles, I bet boaters would totally ignore the restricted use when they have need or desire for electrical power.

jetlag

Lacking designated shore power receptacles, I bet boaters would totally ignore the restricted use when they have need or desire for electrical power.

I think I misunderstood his question, I dont know if shore power is required for a marina , i also dont know if it is illegal to to plug a cord into a 15/20 amp gfci and run the cord over into a boat . I do know that shore power plugs must be 30 or 50 amp and you can not alter the plug or use an adapter to plug into a 15/20 gfci . But why would any one wire a marina and not have shore power for at least a few slips for the larger boats . All the marinas I have seen have the 30 amp and 15/20 gfci at every slip , and then a lot of spaces with the 50 amp also.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I think I misunderstood his question, I dont know if shore power is required for a marina , i also dont know if it is illegal to to plug a cord into a 15/20 amp gfci and run the cord over into a boat . I do know that shore power plugs must be 30 or 50 amp and you can not alter the plug or use an adapter to plug into a 15/20 gfci . But why would any one wire a marina and not have shore power for at least a few slips for the larger boats . All the marinas I have seen have the 30 amp and 15/20 gfci at every slip , and then a lot of spaces with the 50 amp also.
AFAICT, installing shore power is not required under the NEC.

Illegal or not, I'm sure if there is power available, someone will use it... and some weekend warrior will make an adapter.

As for wiring a marina and not supplying shore power, that would depend on the marina. We have a few man-made public lakes around here that have boating restrictions (mostly motor HP)... which equates to most boats being not wired for other than the on-board battery-powered circuits.

jetlag

I would think most docks would meter the useage. I only did 1 several years ago and we had metering and a way to lock other out. If not for the boat itself just why would we need shore outlets ? As to adapters i am willing to bet there are many out there same as we see at RV stores.
http://www.amazon.com/Marinco-81A-15A-30A-Adapter/dp/B000NI1BSO

If I were running a marina I would tell people If their boat does not have shore power the can only put things on the dock to plug in , no drunk people throwing hot cords over in the boat . To charge batterys they have to take out and put on the dock . I would have some one walk through the marina checking things often . As far as adapter on a boat with a shore power cord , I might let that slide if the slips are covered and if they tie the shore power cord to a post near the adapter

glaec

This particular dock is meant to cater smaller boats that do not have shore power. The same Marina has 6 other docks with 30A 120V shore power available.

I wanted to be sure shore power is not a code requirement

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The NEC rules related to marinas are written in the opposite sense to the nature of your question. They say essentially, ?If you are going to supply power to boats, then here are some rules.? Then it goes on to talk about such things as load calculations, demand factors, receptacle types, wiring methods, and the datum plane. But if you are not interested in supplying power to boats, then the NEC rules related to marinas are not applicable to your marina. On the other hand, if you intend to provide power on the pier, then the NEC will have something to say about that.

It is similar to building a house for which you do not intend to provide any electric power. The NEC is simply not going to apply to that house. (I?d have a word with the local building officials, before trying that one. ;) )

jetlag

This particular dock is meant to cater smaller boats that do not have shore power. The same Marina has 6 other docks with 30A 120V shore power available.

I dont think shore power is required , it is for larger boats , those boats usually rent by the month and want a covered slip with shore power .

jetlag

Has any one found anything in code that says you cant have a 120 v - 20 amp GFCI receptacle on a boat dock ? You are not telling anyone to connect a boat to it . Also has any one found where one cant run a cord from that outlet over in a boat . I have looked but cant find a violation .

Status
Not open for further replies.