Flir infared camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

I have same camera law enforcement uses on their chopper to look for decaying bodys and use it for electrical scans. And hospitals use it to find tumors.

I have seen thermal image devices mounted on the top of police cars. Someone told me it is so they can cruise a neighborhood at night and pick up the heat from marijuana grow lights that someone may be using. is this true? I did'nt think IR cameras could scan through a brick home.

480sparky

I have seen thermal image devices mounted on the top of police cars. Someone told me it is so they can cruise a neighborhood at night and pick up the heat from marijuana grow lights that someone may be using. is this true? I did'nt think IR cameras could scan through a brick home.

Probably viewing the electrical service. If they have a bunch of grow lights, the service itself will be warmer than most.

Would that qualify as an infrared test? What would be an acceptable temperature range?

To select the proper device:
  1. Define your objective,
  2. Define your parameters that would segregate the measured objective(s),
  3. Define the significant deviation windows and group them.
Make sure that you take current readings simultaneously with temperature measurements and compare that to both the nameplate data as well as device rating.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
A 2001 Supreme Court case said that the police need a warrant to do that.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I was going to ask the cop at the restaurant why it was on his car but didnt want to bother him.
Cop: "Hey! Your eyes are red! Have you been smoking marijuana?!"

Dude: "Hey! Your eyes are glazed! Have you been eating donuts?!"

CPorter

IR cameras are useful for a number of things. The Fluke and FLIR model that overlay the thermal image onto a regular image are most useful in identifying what you are looking at. They can be used to quickly find potential problems because they scan a large area unlike the IR thermometers. Also because it is an image it can show you what is a different temperature & how where. I've used a regular thermal imager (L3 X-50) to find slumped insulation in walls, water infiltrations, vermin nests, gas leaks in pressurized pipe, hot electrical connections, etc. Used in conjunction with other tools like ultrasonic leak detectors one can survey a large system quickly.

Are they worth it? Depends on how well and how often you use it. Using it for roof inspections for instance takes a little training to get things right the first time. I recommend looking at their training & sales videos to see what they have come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.