Trapeze mount xfrmr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

Is there a size limit for trapeze mounting a step-down transformer, 480-->208 3 phase? I know above 50KVA it has to be in a ventilated space etc. Right now we have a 225kVA transformer with little space, trapeze mounting it above the panels (in a air conditioned space) would be a perfect solution.

Thanks in advance.

iwire

Staff member
Electrically no problem, mechanically, structurally maybe.

I have hung 300 KVA trans before but I had engineered drawings showing the building structure could handle it and that the trapeze was strong enough.

This is not a load you want to hang from the bottom chord of a standard metal truss.

We had specific instructions how to hang it from the tops of I-Beams with 3/4" threaded rod.

Mike01

When space is limited I always enjoy informing the customer that we will be installing their equipment with skyhooks.

I love telling the desigers (architectural) that who always seem to conviently forget that the electrical equpment needs somewhere to "live". I will never forget one time I had a designer tell me "Ok, but can I see the color selection" I laughed they did not so I slowly walked away...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We always hang them when the space is tight. Here's two small ones with about 8' of clearance under them.

Rob%27s%20Work%20024.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.