240volt and 3phase books

Status
Not open for further replies.

dm9289

Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Occupation
Industrial process repair/ maintenance Electrician
I have been around electricity for about 25yrs in CATV,Mass electronics production, Steel manufacturing, residential etc. I have hooked up many 240v and 3phase 480 devices succesfully, but I still feel I dont have a good grasp of how these things work. For example I dont understand current paths in 240v heating elements, For example in 120v I understand current flows from hot thru the element to the neutral. I dont understand when you put 240v on opposite sides of an element it doesnt just go boom.

So the long and short of this is can anyone recomend a text book to help me to understand these isssues from the basics on up?

Thanks
Dave

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I have been around electricity for about 25yrs in CATV,Mass electronics production, Steel manufacturing, residential etc. I have hooked up many 240v and 3phase 480 devices succesfully, but I still feel I dont have a good grasp of how these things work. For example I dont understand current paths in 240v heating elements, For example in 120v I understand current flows from hot thru the element to the neutral. I dont understand when you put 240v on opposite sides of an element it doesnt just go boom.

So the long and short of this is can anyone recomend a text book to help me to understand these isssues from the basics on up?

Thanks
Dave

Current flows from one conductor through the load to another conductor.
It is the load that keeps thing from 'going boom'. A 240V load is perfectly happy being connected to two wires that has 240V between them.

dm9289

Occupation
I thought that the 2 power sources would act against each other I guess it has something to do with how the transformer is set up. I understand that the load basically eliminates the short circuit

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I'll be interested to see what people suggest myself. There are times I look at some of the things I hook up and wonder as well.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I thought that the 2 power sources would act against each other I guess it has something to do with how the transformer is set up. I understand that the load basically eliminates the short circuit
You do not have 2 opposing power sources. You have either 1 source with a center tap (maybe 90% of utility transformers are this type) or you have 2 sources connected in series (maybe 90% of customer owned transformers are this type).

dm9289

Occupation
I need to get back to the basics with this. I can describe and understand most any DC or 120v fault, but 3 phase??? I understand how to hook it up I have done so succesfully many many times but I just dont get the theory and I need some heavy duty remedial training.

mivey

You described what happens half the time. The current goes the other way the other half of the time. Just double the voltage on the hot and you essentially get the 240 volt case. The only thing really special about the neutral is its relative voltage to some reference point.

dm9289

Occupation
Thanks I will continue to look thru this sire it seems valuable

Status
Not open for further replies.