Piggyback Breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterinbama

AKA half-size, half-inch, tandem or wafer breakers.

qob.jpg

I have the tool that slots the pan for this type of breaker.

Was out on a job looking at panels taking notes on ratings cause we were doing a design for them and they had no idea what they had. Open up a 18 ckt panel and find that except for like 6 breakers, it's all wafers. That thing was crammed with wire.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have the tool that slots the pan for this type of breaker.

Why would you need such a tool? If the panel is not designed for tandem breakers you should not be installing them. If you have an old non-CTL panel the instructions will state where tandem breakers can be used and you can purchase non-CTL tandems.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Why would you need such a tool? If the panel is not designed for tandem breakers you should not be installing them. If you have an old non-CTL panel the instructions will state where tandem breakers can be used and you can purchase non-CTL tandems.
The slots were like box knockouts, prepunched but still installed. The tool made knocking out the punched slot easier, although most people used 'needle nose' pliers.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The slots were like box knockouts, prepunched but still installed. The tool made knocking out the punched slot easier, although most people used 'needle nose' pliers.
Ok, that makes sense. I thought the tool was being used to punch slots in non slotted spaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.