proper receptical wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmarini328i

I have 2 question about simple wireing methods on recepticals to end an argument.

first question: In applications where mc and or romex, and all metel boxes are used. do you need to run a grounding pigtail from the ground screw in the box to the ground screw on recepticle? or is the 6-32 receptical screws "means of ground enough" for the receptical since all grounding conductors are bonded to the box via 10-24 green ground screw?

second question: does it say anywhere in the nec that you shall not use all four screws on the duplex receptical? Meaning using all the screws to continue the path of electricity in and out via the hot and nutral breakble tabs on duplex receptical.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I have 2 question about simple wireing methods on recepticals to end an argument.

first question: In applications where mc and or romex, and all metel boxes are used. do you need to run a grounding pigtail from the ground screw in the box to the ground screw on recepticle? or is the 6-32 receptical screws "means of ground enough" for the receptical since all grounding conductors are bonded to the box via 10-24 green ground screw?

second question: does it say anywhere in the nec that you shall not use all four screws on the duplex receptical? Meaning using all the screws to continue the path of electricity in and out via the hot and nutral breakble tabs on duplex receptical.

There are self grounding receptacles but it is good practice to hit the ground screw on the recptacle:D

second, you can use all 5 screws on a recptacle,,
but you are free to splice and pig tail your recptacles i like it that way my self
but it is not required:grin:

Third,, Welcome to the forum:grin:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The answers you seek are part of there listing. The following excerpts are from the UL 2009 GUIDE INFORMATION FOR ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT — THE WHITE BOOK, under RECEPTACLES FOR PLUGS AND ATTACHMENT PLUGS (RTRT):

Self-grounding Receptacles — Self-grounding receptacles have special
integral means for establishing the grounding circuit between device yokes
and (1) the grounded metallic flush-type boxes, or (2) the grounded nonmetallic
flush device boxes employing a grounding strap and terminal; without
the use of bonding jumpers as permitted by Section 250.146(B) (formerly
Exception No. 2 to Section 250-74) of the NEC. These devices are identified
by the statement: “This receptacle is Listed by Underwriters Laboratories
Inc. and has a special pressure spring clip to establish the grounding circuit
between device yokes and (1) the grounded metallic flush-type boxes, or (2)
the grounded nonmetallic flush device boxes employing a grounding strap
and terminal; without the use of bonding jumpers as permitted by Section
250.146(B) of the National Electrical Code” (or equivalent wording) which
may appear on the device or shipping carton.

Single and duplex receptacles rated 15 and 20 A that are provided with
more than one set of terminals for the connection of line and neutral conductors
have been investigated to feed branch-circuit conductors connec-
ted to other outlets on a multi-outlet branch circuit, as follows:
? Back wire (screw actuated clamp type) terminations with multiple
wire access holes used concurrently to terminate more than one cond-
uctor
? Side wire (binding screw) terminals used concurrently with their
respective push-in (screwless) terminations to terminate more than one
conductor
Single and duplex receptacles rated 15 and 20 A that are provided with
more than one set of terminals for the connection of line and neutral conductors
have not been investigated to feed branch-circuit conductors connec-
ted to other outlets on a multi-outlet branch circuit, as follows:
? Side wire (binding screw) terminal with its associated back wire
(screw actuated clamp type) terminal
? Multiple conductors under a single binding screw
? Multiple conductors in a single back wire hole

PS: Welcome :):):)

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician

See 300.13(B).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

The 6/32 screws alone are not sufficient to ground the receptacle they would required some sort of clip and the receptacle would need to be listed as self grounding.

The green grounding screw is a 10/32 not 10/24.

Regarding the screws on the device you would need to pigtail the EGC's since there is only one screw. You can use both silver screws if the neutral is not from a MWBC.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

Sometimes the "simple" questions are the more difficult :) which is probably why you find yourself in disagreement.
In the case of question #1, the confusion comes from the fact that the answer varies depending on the construction details such as flush or surface mounted and receptacle types..self-grounding or not.
You need to review 250.146 and see if that provides you with enough info.

In regard to your second question, the "where" is 300.13(B)

Strife

You can not use them to continue the path of the grounded conductor, you can do it for the ungrounded conductor.

Jim W in Tampa

Thank all of you for such quick responces. I have all the ammo i need now to shut up a know it all apprentice! :)

Only ammo you should need is your over him. If in charge spend 5 minutes and have a friendly chat of do as i say or go back to the shop. If your not in charge of him pass the warning off to who is. Best way to deal with a know it all is let him screw everything up and help him find his way out the door.

SAC

Only ammo you should need is your over him. If in charge spend 5 minutes and have a friendly chat of do as i say or go back to the shop. If your not in charge of him pass the warning off to who is. Best way to deal with a know it all is let him screw everything up and help him find his way out the door.

I disagree. If someone feels that they are being asked to do something that is not to code it is reasonable (and I'd think, expected) that they say "no". They may be wrong (as it appears in this case), but once they are shown it is not a violation, then they have no longer have a valid objection to doing the work as requested. Though it may be a pain in the butt to do so, I think the OP did the right thing to find proof that the apprentice is wrong about the code and to set him straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.