What Would You Charge...with Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

360Youth

I see a lot of the "what would you charge" threads, and I realize that price can change dramatically in less than 100 miles, let alone different states and geographies, so here is my hat in the ring. Bear in mind that I am coastal NC. We relocated a generator for a customer after they purchased a new one. Not including our crane fees, the switch and disconnect was right at $3K, the stainless steel unistrut add-on riser was $350, and the electrical, including j-box, conduits, wire and labor, was $2250. This is single phase, 240v/200a, and 15kw genset. 1/2 day trencher, BTW.

Before...
111510143221.jpg

After...
2010-11-15_12-43-04_79.jpg

With genset in the background...
2010-11-15_13-56-56_696.jpg

hurk27

With prices aside:

I understand the J-box on the load side of the ATS to eliminate the cost of re pulling the conductors feeding the building, I would have nippled from the meter to the disconnect and not run it through the J-box thus saving the customer of the larger J-box, the SS unistrut? if the original install was galvanize unistrut, why the SS? another un-necessary cost.
2" PVC to the generator? if so 1 1/2" would have been fine for the 3-#4's and one #8 to the generator (62.5 amps @ 15kw) since its pretty much a straight shot.

as far as the layout of materials, I would probably mounted the disconnect under the meter and used a 2" hub in the top of the disconnect then shot out of the right side of the disconnect to the ATS, cut the RMC close to the ground and used a 90? back to the ATS or J-box then to the ATS depending on if the existing conductors would reach ATS? keeping the feed of the RMC metal to ATS.

And the above is some questions I have, you installed a PVC J-box to not have to re-run the feed to the panel right? so how did you maintain an EGC with the PVC between the RMC and ATS? this would have been a flag if I was an inspector on this.

Second did you separate the grounds and neutral at the panel in the building?

Did you remove the existing MBJ in the existing panel in the building?

I don't see where the grounding electrode system was brought to the disconnect or ATS where the new MBJ is now located?

Being that this is a commercial building, did you do a connected load calculation because the NEC does not allow an ATS to be used to transfer more load then the generator can handle remember 15kw is only 62.5 amps.

This photo could be a good one for the "can you spot the code violations" while some can't be seen, some can.

Well you asked about the price and you about answered your own question when you said each area will have different prices so the above is about the only things I could point out that would have a bearing on the price in all areas, including yours.

Just remember we are here to help others learn, were not criticizing just trying to help to learn what the code requires.

Your not far from my uncle who lives in MoreHead City.

Last edited:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Is that Thomson ATS not service rated? I just installed one 3 mos. ago that was. Seems like that would have eliminated that j-box and extra disco if it had been?

vanskills

Thats why i rarely post on these forums.

The man asked "How much would you charge"

And he gets drilled about his work...

Internet is almost worthless nowdays.

hurk27

Well first we must remember this is an NEC code forum, while we do allow how to, how much, and how in the world type questions from those in the industry, most questions will gravitate back to what the NEC allows, and posting a photo of work is an invite to such.

For the most part the OPer answered his own question when he asked it,
I realize that price can change dramatically in less than 100 miles, let alone different states and geographies

And he was well aware of what happens here when we do add photo's to our post:
so here is my hat in the ring

We do try not be too criticizing, at least in a bad way, but we do try to point those in the right direction when we do see things that don't look like it will meet code, and who knows, maybe if it is caught before inspection it will save them a red tag and reinspect fees?

As far as the OP question, it was kind of an imposable question to answer, as there is to many variables that would or could convey the wrong answer, like he said, this will vary from place to place, and from method to method, and from company to company, not one of us would probably do that same job the same way or use the same material.

So with that out of the way we then try to point the OP in the right direction when we see things that could be a problem.

I have posted photo's here also, and I am glad when they point out something I missed, or just didn't know was required, so it does have it's benefits.
Join in anytime, and Welcome

360Youth

I really don't mind the critiques and corrections, visuals are a good way to be on the same page, that is why I like them. Nobody likes being called out on an install, but I know that I am going to miss some things. Some I should know by now probably. It is amazing how much we all do sometimes because that is how we were taught, misread things, or venture into our own interpration of NEC intent. Hopefully I am not above being humbled and learning. That is the reason I return to this site regularly. Too much to learn to not do so. I have refrained from responding based on the fact that only two have acknowledged the intent of the OP and only one has provided a response. I do wish responders would at least acknowledge the question. It did warrant a change to my signature. I love Calvin and Hobbes and ran across this while looking for something else. It just seemed to fit. :D

$1400 + in man hour charges only ...

Thanks. Labor time can be a beast to estimate, especially on retro installs trying to make what is into what needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.