Sizing a GEC to a ground rod for a generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question going on here that I could use some input on. If there is a generator with a 1200A MDP and there are (3) 4x500mcm ER-TC cables to a 120OA MDP and there is an MBJ at the MDP, what size GEC do I need for the generator and for the MDP when the only grounding electrodes available are ground rods?

It has always been my contention that the GEC to ground rods, when the GEC is only going to the ground rods is 6 AWG. Everywhere I looked, specifically under 250.30, I was refered back to 250.66 and I do not see where 250.66(A) would not apply.

The only available electrodes will be ground rods, it is in the middle of the desert.

jtester

I agree that the maximum size to a driven ground rod is #6, but if the GEC is to be sized per 250.66, that doesn't seem to comply. What prevents you from installing a 3/0 ground ring? Then you comply with everything.

Jim T

Excellent question and thanks for asking. They in fact do contain an EGC, but that EGC inside of the cables is too small to comply with T250.122 based on the OCD protecting the cables (1200A) so additional EGC conductors needed to be run with with the cables and tie-wrapped to each cable so that it was clear which cable went with each EGC.

Did it seem that everyone agreed with 6 AWG being the largest sized EGC that needed to be run to the ground rods since that was the only EGC being abailable (no building steel or water pipe)?

I liked the comment about the ground ring, in some of these installations that may be a good solution, in others however, it just is not practical.

Respectfully,

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Did it seem that everyone agreed with 6 AWG being the largest sized EGC that needed to be run to the ground rods since that was the only EGC being abailable (no building steel or water pipe)?

I liked the comment about the ground ring, in some of these installations that may be a good solution, in others however, it just is not practical.

Respectfully,

I agree, #6 is the largest GEC required to the rod(s).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Respectfully,

I don't see how 250.66(A) can be any clearer. #6 is all that is needed to the rod. BTW I believe you mean GEC not EGC. :) So easy to do.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Excellent question and thanks for asking. They in fact do contain an EGC, but that EGC inside of the cables is too small to comply with T250.122 based on the OCD protecting the cables (1200A) so additional EGC conductors needed to be run with with the cables and tie-wrapped to each cable so that it was clear which cable went with each EGC.

I am not sure that is code.

RUWired

I am not sure that is code.

It's not and article 250.122(F) would support that statement.

There also seems to be a problem with the ampacity of three runs of 500 kcmil on a 1200 amp breaker. 240.4(C) requires equal or greater when over 800 amps.

Rick

RUWired

I've always had trouble understanding why ground rods, alone, are sufficient. I must be overlooking a code section that says you can use rods only.

Jim T

Article 250.50 allows the use of rods (and other electrodes)when all the other electrodes are not present.

250.50 Grounding Electrode System.
All grounding electrodes as described in 250.52(A)(1) through (A)(7) that are present at each building or structure served shall be bonded together to form the grounding electrode system. Where none of these grounding electrodes exist, one or more of the grounding electrodes specified in 250.52(A)(4) through (A)(8) shall be installed and used.

Rick

jtester

Article 250.50 allows the use of rods (and other electrodes)when all the other electrodes are not present.

250.50 Grounding Electrode System.
All grounding electrodes as described in 250.52(A)(1) through (A)(7) that are present at each building or structure served shall be bonded together to form the grounding electrode system. Where none of these grounding electrodes exist, one or more of the grounding electrodes specified in 250.52(A)(4) through (A)(8) shall be installed and used.

Rick
I know I am beating a dead horse, but it seems to me that if I have a requirement to run a 1/0 GEC, and there is an electrode, (A)(4) that will accept it, how do I get by by choosing one that only accepts #6?

Jim

iwire

Staff member
I know I am beating a dead horse, but it seems to me that if I have a requirement to run a 1/0 GEC, and there is an electrode, (A)(4) that will accept it, how do I get by by choosing one that only accepts #6?

Because there is nothing that says you have to do that.

jtester

Because there is nothing that says you have to do that.

I understand, but it seems grey to me. I practice in New Mexico, and the New Mexico Electrical Code seems to have addressed it somewhat.

"Article 250 ? Grounding and bonding. See this article of the NEC except as provided below.
(1) Section 250.50 Grounding electrode system. See this section of the NEC and add: on new construction a concrete encased electrode shall be considered available and installed in compliance with NEC 250.52(A) (3). If a concrete encased electrode is not present, then at least 20 feet of No. 2 bare copper in direct contact with the earth at a depth below the earth?s surface of not less than thirty (30) inches shall be installed in a continuous trench that is at least twenty (20) feet in length, augmented with a minimum of two (2), eight (8) foot grounds rods spaced a minimum of six (6) feet apart."

I still often see only two driven ground rods.

Jim T

edavis2293

3 500 kcmil and generator

3 500 kcmil and generator

Three (3)500 kcmil conductors are permitted to supply a 1200A OCP in the 2011 NEC but not in the 2008

Grounding electrode conductors or grounding electrodes are not required if the generator meets the requirement for a separately derived system.

RUWired

Three (3)500 kcmil conductors are permitted to supply a 1200A OCP in the 2011 NEC but not in the 2008

What article changed to allow this?

edavis2293 said:
Grounding electrode conductors or grounding electrodes are not required if the generator meets the requirement for a separately derived system.

Did you look through 250.30(A)4,5 and 7 along with the exceptions. IMO they are required.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.