Do all conduits need to be UL listed

Status
Not open for further replies.

vipin

hi friends
i have a serious issue with my client in afghanistan . i am not an nec expert firstly..... i have used a sched 40 plumbing pipe under the slab of the building for electrical cables.... but my cable is tech90...... is it really required to have a ul listed conduit under the slab to pull a tech 90 cable which is more than what my client requires..... as i have already done the pipes in the slab is there any justification to defend...........or how i can solve this issue

jumper

I do not know what tech90 cable is, but if for some reason you are bound by the NEC. UL or other NRTL listing seems necessary.

352.6 Listing Requirements. PVC conduit, factory elbows,
and associated fittings shall be listed.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I believe there is a flammability requirement difference between PVC water pipe and PCV conduit.

IIRC, "Teck 90 Cable" or Multiconductor Armored Insulated Cable is rated for tray or burial or concrete or free-air with direct exposure, but may not be rated for use raceway at all!

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
hi friends
i have a serious issue with my client in afghanistan . i am not an nec expert firstly..... i have used a sched 40 plumbing pipe under the slab of the building for electrical cables.... but my cable is tech90...... is it really required to have a ul listed conduit under the slab to pull a tech 90 cable which is more than what my client requires..... as i have already done the pipes in the slab is there any justification to defend...........or how i can solve this issue
All raceways have required some form of NRTL certification since the 2002 NEC. More problematic is that TECK 90 is a Canadian cable construction that has no NRTL certification at all. CSA is not an NRTL in this case because the TECK rating is not to a recognized ANSI standard. Some TECK cables have an additional recognition as Type MC.

Of course, none of this may make a difference in Afghanistan. In my engineering opinion TECK is a very good cable construction. Terminated properly and using reasonable care during installation, PVC water pipe as the raceway would probably be safe for the purpose intended. Nevertheless, it wouldn't fly in a rigorously (and properly) inspected US domestic installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.