200 Amp Meter base combo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please see photo below of this Meter Base and Disconnect Combo (Siemens Model# MM0406L1200SEC).

Now, i'm confused on this......if they have a 200Amp Service how can they have the 200Amp Breaker plus they could add another let's say 100 Amp breaker on the bus as it has 2 available spaces. What am I missing here????

View attachment 5167

The code would only require that the calculated load does not exceed the conductor ampacity.

Thank you sir! I can understand that....not to be a bigger pain BUT where can I find that in the book because i'm going crosseyed looking for something about it. Don't need exact article just close..Thanks

The code would only require that the calculated load does not exceed the conductor ampacity.

One more thing...................

Now by ampacity of the conductor..............you mean the conductors coming over from the meter base OR the conductors coming off of the breakers on load side of box?

iwire

Staff member
Thank you sir! I can understand that....not to be a bigger pain BUT where can I find that in the book because i'm going crosseyed looking for something about it. Don't need exact article just close..Thanks

VII. Service Equipment ? Overcurrent Protection

230.90 Where Required.
Each ungrounded service conductor
shall have overload protection.

(A) Ungrounded Conductor. Such protection shall be
provided by an overcurrent device in series with each ungrounded
service conductor that has a rating or setting not
higher than the allowable ampacity of the conductor. A set
of fuses shall be considered all the fuses required to protect
all the ungrounded conductors of a circuit. Single-pole circuit
breakers, grouped in accordance with 230.71(B), shall
be considered as one protective device.

Exception No. 3: Two to six circuit breakers or sets of fuses
shall be permitted as the overcurrent device to provide the
overload protection. The sum of the ratings of the circuit
breakers or fuses shall be permitted to exceed the ampacity
of the service conductors, provided the calculated load
does not exceed the ampacity of the service conductors.

One more thing...................

Now by ampacity of the conductor..............you mean the conductors coming over from the meter base OR the conductors coming off of the breakers on load side of box?

The conductors on the line side of the meter base.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
230.42 and 230.90 dictate that the service conductors must be sized for the load.
On the load side of the breakers, your conductors would need to be protected based on their ampacity.(215.30 for feeders)

sorry Bob, walked on you

Status
Not open for further replies.