Conduit fill in 1960

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwjrw

Have the # of RHW conductors allowed in a piece of 1 1/4" EMT changed since the early 1960's? I have a job where 3 #1 RHW conductors are in a piece of existing 1 1/4" EMT.

3 # 1 RHW conductors. .2660 x 3 = .798
1 1/4" EMT 40% fill = .598

Is my math correct?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Have the # of RHW conductors allowed in a piece of 1 1/4" EMT changed since the early 1960's? I have a job where 3 #1 RHW conductors are in a piece of existing 1 1/4" EMT.

3 # 1 RHW conductors. .2660 x 3 = .798
1 1/4" EMT 40% fill = .598

Is my math correct?

Where did you get .2660 from. I get .1901 for #1 Rhw

I see the discrepancy but not sure yet.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For RHW without outer covering the correct conductor dimension is (.1901). What type of RHW do you have? Was RHW without outer covering even made in the 1960's?

480sparky

Per 1962 NEC:

3-#1 RHW @ 0.2715 in? = 0.8145 in? (from Table 5)

1? Raceway w. 3 conductors = 0.6000 in? (from Table 4)

Failed. :roll:

These numbers are for new work. There were different numbers for existing work.

Rob..... I see no mention of any RHW with or without outer covering.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I see the problem. The one I stated is without outer covering. So I guess if you have the cloth then you are correct.

480sparky

I thought he was asking about todays code but I see he is asking if there is a code change. Obviously there is a discrepancy. :grin:

I was posting from the 1962 since the OP was asking about "early 60's". The with/without outer covering doesn't show up until the '65.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I was posting from the 1962 since the OP was asking about "early 60's". The with/without outer covering doesn't show up until the '65.

So if his conductors are without he's good. If not, then there's a violation that has lasted 50 almost years. :roll:

jwjrw

For RHW without outer covering the correct conductor dimension is (.1901). What type of RHW do you have? Was RHW without outer covering even made in the 1960's?

It appears to be cloth. I could barely make out RHW and #1 on it.

480sparky

So if his conductors are without he's good. If not, then there's a violation that has lasted 50 almost years. :roll:

I can see no mention of any RHW with or without outer covering in my 1962. It is mentioned at the bottom of Table 5 that RHH and RHW w/o o.c. are the same as THW in the 1965. But that note does not appear in the '62.

The w-w/o outer covering does not show up in Art. 310 until 1975.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.