ARC Flash and PPE

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHkorn

Can anyone help point me to information regarding arc flash and ppe? Specificaly I think I want to first calculate the Cal/cm?.
Use that value to determine a hazard risk catagory.
Then see what PPE are required.
Is that the procedure?
Thanks again in advance, this forum is a great resource.

raider1

Staff member
Get a copy of NFPA 70E. Also unless you are an electrical engineer that has experience with calculating incident energies I would not recommend doing the calculations yourself.

An Arc Flash analysis should only be done by a qualified electrical engineer.

Chris

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Yes, that is essentially the procedure. That first part however, the calculation, is no trivial task. You need to collect information about the facility, including power source(s), transformer impedances, conductor sizes and lengths, and the models and settings of breakers. Then you need a software package that can take this information and perform the calculation. You may also need a licensed professional engineer to sign and seal the calculation results.

There is a simpler procedure that may, or may not, apply to any particular facility. There is a table in NFPA 70e that lists tasks and PPE requirements. What many people fail to notice is that it gives specific parameters that must be met, in order for the table to be applicable. Until you verify that those parameters are met, you can't just assume that the PPE shown in the table will be adequate for working on any given panel.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Also off topic, but I was there too. I have the flash drive as well, but mine isn't "stuck" in the computer. ;):D

Status
Not open for further replies.