I could use some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I have a circuit that has 8 recess that I would like to control by 3 4way switches. I am feeding at one 3way switch location and the load will be at the other 3way location.

My concern is running the "travelers" between the 3ways. I know how to wire the 4way. Do I need to carry the neutral with each set of switches?

I hope this makes sense.

electricmanscott

I have a circuit that has 8 recess that I would like to control by 3 4way switches. I am feeding at one 3way switch location and the load will be at the other 3way location.

My concern is running the "travelers" between the 3ways. I know how to wire the 4way. Do I need to carry the neutral with each set of switches?

I hope this makes sense.

If the feed is at one 3 way and the load is at the other how else would you get your neutral. Black feed to common on 3 way, black and red travelers through all switches, black switch leg on common at other three way, white spliced through all the way to the light.

Did you run two wire instead of three and now you want to scab a neutral somewhere?

kwired

Electron manager
From 300.3

(B) Conductors of the Same Circuit. All conductors of the same circuit and, where used, the grounded conductor and all equipment grounding conductors and bonding conductors shall be contained within the same raceway, auxiliary gutter, cable tray, cablebus assembly, trench, cable, or cord, unless otherwise permitted in accordance with 300.3(B)(1) through (B)(4).

Occupation
Inspector
I'm in the process of laying out this circuit. Box fill is my concern and I have set it up so I can make this work, I was just curious about the "neutrals" with 2 of the three "loops".

Thanks for the confirmation, I had planned to pull the neutrals with two just was not sure if I had to. My book is on the job site and looking on line is too slow.

Thanks

Occupation
Inspector
Then feeding on one end and putting the load on the other is the easiest way to avoid a box fill issue. 14-3 from A to B to C and you're done.

Keep It Simple Stupid - always the best bet. :)

That is what I have done. Just was not sue if I needed the 3 wire for two of the switch loops from A to B to C. As I have it now box B will have 6 14-3 cables and with switches I have come up with 50 cu in and I have 54 cu in box.

sparky=t

That is what I have done. Just was not sue if I needed the 3 wire for two of the switch loops from A to B to C. As I have it now box B will have 6 14-3 cables and with switches I have come up with 50 cu in and I have 54 cu in box.

6- 14/3 cables, for a total of 19 conductors for box fill + 2 for device, wow seems like there is an easier way to route your cable?, what type of box are you using?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Oh! You have three sets of switches per location! I didn't get that out of the original post.

I agree with your numbers.

Rough rule of thumb for the future: A box can generally fit as many cables as you have knockouts on one side of the box. So, for a three gang box, there are six knockouts on the top. You have six cables in those knockouts, so I wouldn't even whip out the pencil for that box.

If all of these switches are on the same circuit, you can stray from KISS a little bit, using 14-2 travelers for a couple of the loops. 300.3(B)(3). This may come in handy if you have anything odd happening at boxes A or C.

jetlag

I hope this makes sense.

It seems to me you only need 1 14/3 between the boxes to take a neutral to the end. The other cables only need 14/2 with the white marked black . Unless you are afraid you will get flagged for a neutral not being in every cable .

Last edited:

Occupation
Inspector
It seems to me you only need 1 14/3 between the boxes to take a neutral to the end. The other cables only need 14/2 with the white marked black . Unless you are afraid you will get flagged for a neutral not being in every cable .

I missed 300.3(B)(3) as others have stated that would allow the use of only one 14/3 NM to carry the needed neutral and use 14/2 NM for the other two cables.

Thanks to all

Status
Not open for further replies.