No, don't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireryan

Wow I think the insulation is a little much but we also use drills to terminate our devices. Works fine if you set the drill right

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I also use my drill to terminate device- no problem with the clutch set-- however I don't leave all that jacketed wire in the box.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Look how much jacket is in the box!
I would wager that his intent was to pull most of the wire out of the box from the back, after he tightens the screws on the device. Let's hope that he left enough slack wire to permit the device to be removed from the box later. Whoever did my garage pulled the wires tight, once the devices (receptacles and light switches) were screwed into the box, leaving no slack at all. There is going to be trouble, if there is ever a need to move or replace any of these devices. :mad:

480sparky

I would wager that his intent was to pull most of the wire out of the box from the back, after he tightens the screws on the device. Let's hope that he left enough slack wire to permit the device to be removed from the box later. Whoever did my garage pulled the wires tight, once the devices (receptacles and light switches) were screwed into the box, leaving no slack at all. There is going to be trouble, if there is ever a need to move or replace any of these devices. :mad:

That's an easy fix. Turn off the power, and take a hammer to the device. Once you get it demolished down to the terminals, you can undo the screws and Wago a short piece of wire on to it. :D

Bin dere. Dun dat.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Pit it against a torque wrench. :D

To ME it is no different than using a nail gun to put down shingles. It may be allowed but I would challenge anyone to show me a roof where the nails where properly seated.

Same thing with a screw gun on a device.

Do I use my torque wrench on devices?

I know some, those who care, can use other means to secure a wire. But the problem is the employee who just wants to get finished early that scares me.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I always hate it when I come across a panel that somebody used a drill to put the cover screws on, usually stripping out the heads. If everbody knew how to use the clutch settings, it would not be that bad. I prohibit anybody on one of my jobs from using a drill to put on a panel cover.

Sam Moore

if my hand and screw driver knows 14 ft lbs, my hand and drill knows 14 ft lbs and no you cant turn just anyone loose with a drill on devices, some people dont care enough to make sure they're over tightening or either dont have enough intelligence to do so

Status
Not open for further replies.