Receptacle in staircase riser

Status
Not open for further replies.

CIECO

Ok I have question that was asked of me that I do not know how to answer. The question came from my son a EE who wants to put a rec in the riser of his staircase for Christmas lights. I think he is nuts. But is there any reason you can?t do it.

John120/240

stair recptacle

stair recptacle

Can't think of any reason not to, I have installed floor recptacle at the top of stairs or on landing next to the spindles. Did install tread lights on riser once, it worked OK.

480sparky

Because he want's it in the stair riser.

And I want a million dollars, too. But sometimes we can't get what we want.:cool:

While its not specifically addressed in the NEC, this is a case where common sense should be brought to bear.

"Be careful what you ask for...... you just might get it".

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Ok I have question that was asked of me that I do not know how to answer. The question came from my son a EE who wants to put a rec in the riser of his staircase for Christmas lights. I think he is nuts. But is there any reason you can?t do it.

If he wanted to he could even use a floor box and put it in a tread.

Roger

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
The building inspector might use this. Note 'clear width'.

"311.5.1 Width.

Stairways shall not be less than 36 inches (914 mm) in clear width at all points above the permitted handrail height and below the required headroom height. Handrails shall not project more than 4.5 inches (114 mm) on either side of the stairway and the minimum clear width of the stairway at and below the handrail height, including treads and landings, shall not be less than 31.5 inches (787 mm) where a handrail is installed on one side and 27 inches (698 mm) where handrails are provided on both sides."

So he might have room at the side of the step. 31.5" minimum.

iwire

Staff member
The building inspector might use this. Note 'clear width'.

"311.5.1 Width.

Stairways shall not be less than 36 inches (914 mm) in clear width at all points above the permitted handrail height and below the required headroom height. Handrails shall not project more than 4.5 inches (114 mm) on either side of the stairway and the minimum clear width of the stairway at and below the handrail height, including treads and landings, shall not be less than 31.5 inches (787 mm) where a handrail is installed on one side and 27 inches (698 mm) where handrails are provided on both sides."

So he might have room at the side of the step. 31.5" minimum.

Assuming a flush mounted device it seems the BI is out of luck.

renosteinke

I think it's a matter of right church, wrong pew ... that is, right idea, but wrong code.

What are you worried about? A trip hazard? Obstructing the stairs? I suspect the code that addresses those issues would be the UBC or IRC.

Well, that's no problem ... we'll just staple the cords to the stairs as well. OK, there's the NEC issue.

CIECO

First of all the kid is a EE so he knows it all and I just don't like cutting a nice oak riser for 2 weeks out of the year. But I told him I would look in to it. Thanks for the input.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If they are dead set in having these lights they will run an extension cord if there is no receptacle.

I see no reason not to install the receptacle except for having to cut into the oak riser as the OP mentions, kind of a shame to have this receptacle there for asthetic reasons.

Roger

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
For me this is a who gives a crap situation. Install the receptacle and move on. Maybe a good place for a sillite receptacle.

"13. Can a 15 amp rated receptacle, like the SCR be used on a 20 amp circuit?
Yes ? The NEC allows 15 amp rated receptacles to be connected to a 20 amp circuit, so long as there are at least two 15 amp rated receptacles connected to the circuit; e.g. one on each side of a kitchen island."

What code section is that?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What code section is that?

I think they are saying if it is a single recep. installed on a 20 amp cir. then it would have to be a 20 amp recep. 210.21(B)(1). However if you use 2- single recep. then the recep. can be 15 amp. Remember the sillite recep. are single recep.

Status
Not open for further replies.