Voltage drop question

Status
Not open for further replies.

raza246

What size feeder wire would i need for a underground 200 amp service when the transformer is about 200-250 feet away from the meter

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
so should I run 4/0 copper for 120/240

That's correct but you do realize the calculated load is probably no where near 200 amps and there is no code that says you must deal with VD just a foot note which is not enforceable.

I would seriously look into aluminum-- this is coming from someone who hates aluminum but I have used it on my last 2 jobs. You can pipe it and pull the wire for less money than copper. Copper is about 4 times the cost of aluminum right now. 4/0 copper at 250 feet will be very expensive.

raza246

I would use alluminium but there is a existing 2" pipe and i dont think the alluminum will fit plus it would cost a lot more to dig up the pipe and put a bigger one in so I am forced to use copper

I would use alluminium but there is a existing 2" pipe and i dont think the alluminum will fit plus it would cost a lot more to dig up the pipe and put a bigger one in so I am forced to use copper

Single or three phase service? Can you run a bare or reduced-size neutral? Is this a replacement for an existing service (what is in the 2" conduit)?

Status
Not open for further replies.