On each level of a dwelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguy8169

Still havent heard back from the AHJ on a smoke detector install and need to move forward. the local code states "Smoke alarms shall be llocated within each sleeping room, immediately outside of each sleeping room, and on each level of the dwelling" My question is each level of the dwelling would that mean in the hall , the hall is open to all the entrances if you stand at the bottom of the stairs and you can actually see each door to each unit. So, what I am trying to figure out is does it mean each level (not actually in the unit)?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The smokes are required on each floor level regardless if there is a bedroom or not. If all the bedrooms are on the second floor then one in each bedroom and one adjacent to the rooms in the hall. Depending on the layout you may need more than one in the hall.

On the first floor, no bedrooms, you are required to have one. Doesn't matter where but usually in a central area.

This is a building code issue not an NEC rule.

480sparky

Put a smoke inside each bedroom, and one in the hall outside of them.

In addition, put one on each level, or floor, of the house.

So if you have a 2-story with 3 bedrooms and a basement, you'll have 4 on the second floor, 1 on the main level, and one in the basement.

If the same two-story has two bedrooms upstairs, and one on the main level, then you'll need 3 on the 2nd story, 2 on the main level, and 1 in the basement.

wireguy8169

Ok got those now what about in the hall way outside of each unit its a multifamily I am just wondering if I have to have one in the main hall way on the first floor and one at the top of the stairs on the landing by the two doors for the other two units. If you can visualize this its a older house that was turned into three units. I was aware its not a NEC issue that is why I posted it here, but getting a return call from the AHJ is like pulling teeth it actually does not need an inspection unless its going to change hand or be remodeled, they do have a guideline and I want to make sure that its to that. What is kind of ambiguous is on each level cause technically the ones in each unit (as long as they are in the proper locals) would give each level of the unit at least one.

Again hope this makes sense

Thanks for all the input thus far.

wireguy8169

Smoke placement is not an NEC issue.... only the wiring of them is.

I understand its not an NEC issue, but there is still a requirement albeit not an NEC requirement, and I was just curious if anyone has dealt with the wording. If the property owner decides to sell the house and the smokes and CO detectors are not adequate then he would have to do it again or add to it. I was going to put one in the hall but the PO wants to only do what is required. so if I do not have to put one in the hall outside the first floor unit and on the second floor landing outside of units 2 and 3 door they do not want me to. The PO feels that each level is covered by the smokes in the units and in the basement.

thanks

480sparky

Without seeing the actual wording of the Code that your local AHJ has adopted, we're really just guessing at this point.

wireguy8169

Without seeing the actual wording of the Code that your local AHJ has adopted, we're really just guessing at this point.

I actually quoted it in the first post...

"Smoke alarms shall be llocated within each sleeping room, immediately outside of each sleeping room, and on each level of the dwelling"

sorry should have stated that the quote was how the code reads.

Thanks

480sparky

I actually quoted it in the first post...

"Smoke alarms shall be llocated within each sleeping room, immediately outside of each sleeping room, and on each level of the dwelling"

sorry should have stated that the quote was how the code reads.

Thanks

However, you're in a multi-family structure, aren't you? So each unit would be a dwelling. The whole thing is not 'a dwelling'.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Actually yes the whole thing is a dwelling its a multi family dwelilng, but thanks for the input. I will just figure it out.

Again thanks for the input

If this is new work with 120VAC smokes with battery backup, then each dwelling unit (apartment) has to be wired separately.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Wire smokes for each unit separately from the others. Then run a circuit from the common panel to take care of the common areas. Put a smoke on each level near the stairs.

The common area needs to be protected whether or not there are tenants with working electricity in their units.

Status
Not open for further replies.