stranded wire in a switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Just curious, where is that written ? I hear it said all the time but most inspectors dis-agree with you, if they say "No" they need to give you a reason but I know of no requirement they give you line and verse.

So if a cop pulls you over for speeding, they don't have to give you the law that provides for the speed limit you broke?

If they don't, you don't have a ticket.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
So you have re-used a switch, don't know what brand it is or if it is listed for use with stranded wire, but you feel it is the inspectors responsibility to prove that the switch you have re-used is NOT listed for use with stranded wire.:roll:

After reading the UL whitebook reference that Don has pointed out I would say that unless you can show that the switch is listed for stranded wire you would have a 110.3(B) violation.

I just did a quick google search and the couple of switches I looked at did not have anything in their instructions that idicated that the screws were suitable for stranded wire. They also did not indicate that they were not eiter.;):)

Chris

Well Said Chris

i pulled a switch out of the box out of the truck today and it says right on the front of the switch - use solid conductors only. Reusing the switch - the switch says the same thing - so I do believe that 110.3 (B) would apply here. Stupid as it may sound for the inspector to fail an inspection on.

So because the inspector is pretty sharp and knew something that you didn't or something you thought was silly, makes it a stupid call?

I can't tell you how many times I have to point out missing KO seals or conduit not strapped correctly. Silly? Maybe, but it is the code. If as an inspector you start letting things go, when do you stop?

mivey

I just did a quick google search and the couple of switches I looked at did not have anything in their instructions that idicated that the screws were suitable for stranded wire. They also did not indicate that they were not eiter.;):)

Chris
See here:
http://solutions.cooperwiringdevices.com/webDB/documents/cwd residential/buyersGuide/E 11.pdf

http://solutions.cooperwiringdevices.com/webDB/documents/cwd residential/buyersGuide/E 11.pdf

Push-in terminals accept #14 solid wire only.

Side wire terminals accept up to #10 solid or stranded wire.

iwire

Staff member
The following is from the UL Guide Information for Snap Switches.

Terminals of the wire-binding screw, setscrew, or screw-actuated back-wired clamping types are suitable for use with solid building wires unless otherwise indicated either on the device or in the installation instructions.

Unlike the Guide Information for receptacles, this one says that the device or instructions must say you can use stranded conductors. If they don't you have a 110.3(B) issue.

This is the kind of thing that makes you wonder if anyone is driving the bus at UL.

Why do they treat switch terminals differently from receptacle terminals?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
So if a cop pulls you over for speeding, they don't have to give you the law that provides for the speed limit you broke?

If they don't, you don't have a ticket.

So how does one relate to the other????????????????????????
If you get a ticket you broke the law, then you have to go to court to fight it, there is a fine, etc. If you don't pass an inspection you fix what you did wrong and move on. If you debate the call yes it is fair to ask what section of the code is violated, but like I said,"Where does it say the inspector MUST put down every code section?" I see hack work all the time and if an inspector had to write down every code section (especially when the installer is not learned on code) he would never finish an inspection.
It is not required for the inspector to write down every code section violated. If you believe other wise "SHOW ME" where it is written, don't just shot from the hip "making it up as you go", or say," I'd like to see it".

electricmanscott

i pulled a switch out of the box out of the truck today and it says right on the front of the switch - use solid conductors only. Reusing the switch - the switch says the same thing - so I do believe that 110.3 (B) would apply here. Stupid as it may sound for the inspector to fail an inspection on.

Here in MA I think 110.14(A) is what you're looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.