Styrofoam Facade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I have been asked to bid installing a receptacle on the outside of a commercial building that has the Styrofoam / Stucco Facade.

How does one anchor a box to this type of construction.

cadpoint

At first read my thought went to Blue Nails / or Red (plastic gourmets with a screw) and a dab of gorilla glue.

In rethinking the application there should/might be a mess screen behind the stucco finish those a toggle bolt might be applicable. You can open up the backside behind the mess for a toggle to open.

What You might have to ask (or look at the drawings) is if the mess mat is in front of a brick or block wall...

Last edited:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
You need to fasten to what's behind the styrofoam. Either a stud or the wood backing. Use a spacer between the box and wood so the styrofoam doesn't cave.

russ

This sounds like it's a Dryvit System. Dryvit is installed on a lot of different types of sub surfaces. You might want to talk to the manufacturer before you make any holes in it.
About 12 years ago there was a report about some of these systems that were installed improperly, witch led to moisture getting in and rotting wood sub surfaces.

Jim W in Tampa

It will be 2" to 4" back through foam and then a layer of drywall type stuff. Very hard to find the stud.

I might go with silicone adhesive and ez-anchors for a simple surface box.

Yes I know that and if it was just a switch i would go that route but i am thinking long term use would crack it.

jetlag

Yes I know that and if it was just a switch i would go that route but i am thinking long term use would crack it.

Use tiny bit to see if backing is solid . if not use toggle bolts and go with surface mount , 4 bolts might not be bad idea . Or when no one is looking use a tiny bit to make sure you have located a stud by sounding with hammer

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
This sounds like it's a Dryvit System. Dryvit is installed on a lot of different types of sub surfaces. You might want to talk to the manufacturer before you make any holes in it.
About 12 years ago there was a report about some of these systems that were installed improperly, witch led to moisture getting in and rotting wood sub surfaces.

The manufacture will say do not put holes in it, the reality holes will allays be put in it.

macmikeman

How high up the wall is the receptacle? If it is low, how about a strut anchored to the ground surface coupled with an angle fitting and another strut riser to go behind the box?

russ

The manufacture will say do not put holes in it, the reality holes will allays be put in it.

I think the manufacturer realizes holes are always a likely hood especially on a commercial building that normally have signs installed on them.

I found this on one of many informational sights.

3. Anytime you make a penetration through the EIFS such as to mount a satellite dish, add shutters, new wiring, cables, plumbing, security systems, etc., the perimeters must be sealed with a quality sealant approved for EIFS.

Occupation
Inspector
Thanks to all for input and information, it is invaluable.

I'm heading to the site either tomorrow or the next day to look this over and see if there are any other options than making a penetration in the EIFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.