NM cable standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrd999

Is NMB required to have a data label along its sheath? I see writing on most wire, but I noticed a roll of 12-3 I've been using doesn't have anything written on it.. It was name brand, came in a sealed wrapper. It's got me worried..

mrd999

Gah! This was a sealed 250' Cerro wire roll from Lowes, and it's going to waste a lot of time replacing all this cable. Has anyone else had this happen? How does this happen?!

WorkSafe

Wonder if Lowes knows about this. They buy this stuff in huge quantities and wonder how many other rolls has been potentially sold like this.

How does this happen?!

They ran out of ink during production.............hey I've found splices inside the outer jacket on more than one occasion because it would seem they ran out of individual conductors.

I'd be concerned if all the cable from the store wasn't labelled but if it's just one coil among many - not sure if I would worry unless you suspect it really isn't NM.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I'd be concerned if all the cable from the store wasn't labelled but if it's just one coil among many - not sure if I would worry unless you suspect it really isn't NM.

Hmmmm, I think the bigger concern would be the red tag the inspector could issue, the labor involved with the removal and replacement would definitely get into the jobs profit margin.

Roger

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Sometimes, they emboss the sheath instead of using ink. Regardless, who's going to look for the labeling on installed NM?

Ken In NJ

We dont use Romex often .. but I cant remember ever seeing an inspector looking for lettering on it.

Anyone ever see that show "How its made" when they were making THHN I think .. the lettering was done with a laser .. very neat

Status
Not open for further replies.