Ieee 519-92

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I need to do an analysis to show compliance with IEEE 519-92 (Harmonic Analysis) for an office building. The loads are typical HVAC VFD's, electronic lighting ballasts, and computers. I just need to show we have less than 5% THD voltage distortion at the service.

What's the quickest and fastest way to get up to speed on this?

What's the fastest way to do the calculation? I have SKM Powertools, but I don't have the harmonic analysis tool.

Is there a less expensive way to do this without buying more SKM software? Are there equations that can be put into MS excel or maybe even a free calculator somewhere??

Steve

Last edited:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Do you need to comply with IEEE519 or simply show your THDv?

Do you have power monitoring equipment installed at the service?
Most PQ meters can provide with a readout of THDv, so no calculations would be needed.

If you need to fully comply with IEEE519, you will need to evaluate each harmonic, but you can do that with an Excel spreadsheet and the output of your PQ meter, you should not need to purchase HI-Wave.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Do you need to comply with IEEE519 or simply show your THDv?

Do you have power monitoring equipment installed at the service?
Most PQ meters can provide with a readout of THDv, so no calculations would be needed.

If you need to fully comply with IEEE519, you will need to evaluate each harmonic, but you can do that with an Excel spreadsheet and the output of your PQ meter, you should not need to purchase HI-Wave.

I wish it were that easy. But the owner has very specific requirements for professional consultants.

We have to "demonstrate compliance with IEEE 519-92" during design. It goes on to say we need to show the total voltage and current distortion based on a computer aided simulation. Then show the total voltage distortion is less than 5%.

So Hi-wave is the SKM module for harmonic analysis. I searched their website high and low for harmonic analysis, and couldn't figure out which module I needed.

Steve

RoberteFuhr

We also use SKM and have the Harmonic Module. It may be more cost effective for you to enter the data into SKM and then let us perform the Harmonic Analysis for you.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Steve,
You will need to model the entire system, which you might be doing for the short circuit calcs anyway with SKM.
519 is at the PCC (utility meter)

The PCC point may be open for debate. The Client owns the step down transformer (4160 to 208), and the HV feeder, and even a power generation facility. Maybe the correct term is a go-gen plant.

At any rate, I'm assuming the PCC would be either at the primary or secondary of the transformer.

We also use SKM and have the Harmonic Module. It may be more cost effective for you to enter the data into SKM and then let us perform the Harmonic Analysis for you.

I hate to farm out my own work, but the cost of SKM's software is pretty high for what might be a one-time need. I looked online, and didn't see anything software that might be less expensive.

I wonder if the equpiment vendors (HVAC equipment or VFD equipment vendors) ever provide calculations like this?

JWCELECTRIC

Steve,

Farm it out to someone who can generate a report who does it all the time, then add your markup. It might sve you the hassel. If there are any questions refer then to your sub contractor.

jghrist

I wish it were that easy. But the owner has very specific requirements for professional consultants.

We have to "demonstrate compliance with IEEE 519-92" during design. It goes on to say we need to show the total voltage and current distortion based on a computer aided simulation. Then show the total voltage distortion is less than 5%.

So Hi-wave is the SKM module for harmonic analysis. I searched their website high and low for harmonic analysis, and couldn't figure out which module I needed.

Steve

The voltage distortion limits of IEEE 519 are for the supplying utility. Customer distortion limits are for current, not voltage.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The voltage distortion limits of IEEE 519 are for the supplying utility.
And you think that fact is going to prevent some "engineer" from putting it in to their, carefully thought out and considered, specifications?:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.