Biohazard remediation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a client who is dealing with restoring their home after Biohazard decontamination, resulting from a messy suicide in the home. The use of unknown chemicals in the process have left switches , receptacles and wiring suspect.

The owner would like to as a minimum replace all devices and perhaps re-terminate all splices within the outlet boxes to remediate the damage and restore peace of mind.

Of course the insurance company does not want to cover any of her expenses.

Is there any reseach into the damage caused from such a clean up and any need for replacement of wiring and / or devices, (such as the reseach we are seeing for the chemical damages caused by Chinese drywall), which I might provide the owner, to secure some insurance coverage.

Switches and receptacles have already indicated problems resulting from this.

Something has to be done.

Thanks,

jumper

Wouldn't 110.12(B) help cover this?

(B) Integrity of Electrical Equipment and Connections.
Internal parts of electrical equipment, including busbars,
wiring terminals, insulators, and other surfaces, shall not be
damaged or contaminated by foreign materials such as
paint, plaster, cleaners, abrasives, or corrosive residues.
There shall be no damaged parts that may adversely affect
safe operation or mechanical strength of the equipment
such as parts that are broken; bent; cut; or deteriorated by
corrosion, chemical action, or overheating.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The owner would like to as a minimum replace all devices and perhaps re-terminate all splices within the outlet boxes to remediate the damage and restore peace of mind.
Just curious - where did the customer get the idea that this is the minimum she ought to have done?

Of course the insurance company does not want to cover any of her expenses.
The insurance company is only on the hook for repairs and cleanup that are necessary. Who is to say what is necessary.

Switches and receptacles have already indicated problems resulting from this.
What kind of problems? If there are observable problems it should not be real hard to get the insurance adjuster to come out and observe them.

Something has to be done.
It sounds to me like this is an issue primarily between the owner and the owner's insurance company. Let them work it out. How much time are you willing to waste for free upfront on a job that probably won't exceed $500?

Wouldn't 110.12(B) help cover this?

(B) Integrity of Electrical Equipment and Connections.
Internal parts of electrical equipment, including busbars,
wiring terminals, insulators, and other surfaces, shall not be
damaged or contaminated by foreign materials such as
paint, plaster, cleaners, abrasives, or corrosive residues.
There shall be no damaged parts that may adversely affect
safe operation or mechanical strength of the equipment
such as parts that are broken; bent; cut; or deteriorated by
corrosion, chemical action, or overheating.

Just who is going to enforce this? If there is an inspection, it will only be of the work you did, not of work you did not do.

In any case, the code is not a maintenance code. It is an installation code, and only applies to the installation, not what happens down the road.

Last edited:
My thanks to all.

This client is a long time friend and she will be paying for my time in research as well as repair. I just want to try to get her some help from the insurance company, especially after what she has had to endure.

The adjuster has agreed to replace all fans, fixtures and appliances.

There will be a permit and inspection due to other work requiring it.

The NEMA white paper does appear to contain some helpfull information regarding chemicals and clear water rinsing of those chemicals on all wall surfaces.

Also artical 110 , NEC should be helpful.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.