How do I work less

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt66electric

quit scheduling fridays!!!

quit scheduling fridays!!!

I try not to schedule anything on friday, more than, a week in advance..
Something usually happens durung the week to eat up your friday, but, if if does not , then, do not feel obligated "not" to take the day off.

The first smart move I made when in business was to hire office help. Soon after I made my second smart move...I learned to delegate responsibility.
Yet, there were always more than 40 hrs aweek of work...:confused:

The next smart move I made was using my training in another way...teaching.

Soon after teaching/business owner, I made the decision to leave contracting and strictly go to training. THE BEST DECISION I EVER MADE.

1. Paid before they come to class - I do not chase money.
2. Almost ZERO stress
3. Way less hours
4. No more emergency calls
5. I love teaching
6. I am having fun all the time
7. I take at least 1 weekday off every week (for the last 18 months) and do photography....
8. I get to turn my phone off when I want to

Ahhh, I hope retirement never comes...:cool:

Last edited:

220/221

I have been in business for 5 yrs now and want to know do you ever get to work only 40 hrs a week being self employed and how?

You are gone and your OP was vague but, if you are only doing administrative work and have only one guy in the field to support you, that aint gonna work.

If you are in the field, have one employee, and are doing all the admin work...yeah, you will be putting in some extra hours.

When I sterted, I would work every day, for as many hours as it took. My business partner got me to start taking weekends off. That was a strange concept to me but I have to say it was a great idea.

All I can say is to work smarter. Shoot for 100% productivity in the field and in the office. Use common sense when scheduling. Make sure you have all your materials lined up in advance. In th efield and in th eoffice, make every trip count, make every step count. Don't do things you don't have to do and don't do things twice.

arnettda

I am in the field and doing all the administrative work.

You are gone and your OP was vague but, if you are only doing administrative work and have only one guy in the field to support you, that aint gonna work.

If you are in the field, have one employee, and are doing all the admin work...yeah, you will be putting in some extra hours.

When I sterted, I would work every day, for as many hours as it took. My business partner got me to start taking weekends off. That was a strange concept to me but I have to say it was a great idea.

All I can say is to work smarter. Shoot for 100% productivity in the field and in the office. Use common sense when scheduling. Make sure you have all your materials lined up in advance. In th efield and in th eoffice, make every trip count, make every step count. Don't do things you don't have to do and don't do things twice.

arnettda

I have two friends that are electrical contractors. Both have been in business for 17 years and both have been "successful". One is a true business man and the other is an electrician that owns his own company. Both started out as very good wireman. The true business man is financially successful and on pace to retire at 55 with a nice sum of money. He currently works 40 hours a week and has time and money for nice vacations with his family. The other one is still working 12 hrs a day 6 days a week and has no end in site. He feels he needs to tighten every connector on the job and then come home and estimate and do paperwork until 1 AM because he wont hire help. For me I am working on the first type of business. I feel if I get my business and myself financially stable I can always go run some pipe for fun :roll:. If I don't I will be running pipe because I have to at 70 years old.

I am a electrician that went into business.

Status
Not open for further replies.