EMT, MC cabled straped to ceiling grid wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Current

I know its against code to strap emt to grid wire but what about mc cable i know they make clips that are used specifically for this purpose. Is this against code?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Yes it is a violation, building code also doesn't allow it. You can not hang anything on grid support wires, you need to add your own wires then they are not the support wires for the grid.

Buck Parrish

I agree with arc and will add. The wires you install should be marked. little orange ribon , paint, tape something to distinguish them from the cieling support grid.
Then get your self a box of bat wing staps.

Last edited:

Eddy Current

I agree with arc and will add. The wires you install should be marked. little orange ribon , paint, tape something to distinguish them from the cieling support grid.
Then get your self a box of bat wing staps.

Thats what im talking about the bat wing straps. A six foot whip from a lay in light bat winged to a ceiling grid is against code?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
300.11 Securing and Supporting.
(A) Secured in Place. Raceways, cable assemblies, boxes, cabinets, and fittings shall be securely fastened in place. Support wires that do not provide secure support shall not be permitted as the sole support. Support wires and associated fittings that provide secure support and that are installed in addition to the ceiling grid support wires shall be permitted as the sole support. Where independent support wires are used, they shall be secured at both ends. Cables and raceways shall not be supported by ceiling grids.
(1) Fire-Rated Assemblies. Wiring located within the cavity of a fire-rated floor–ceiling or roof–ceiling assembly shall not be secured to, or supported by, the ceiling assembly, including the ceiling support wires. An independent means of secure support shall be provided and shall be permitted to be attached to the assembly. Where independent support wires are used, they shall be distinguishable by color, tagging, or other effective means from those that are part of the fire-rated design.
I don't paint or tag because the wires I hang are obviously not part of the ceiling guys install. They are twisted differently and run at unusual angles.

jeremysterling

The City of Austin requires ceiling wires installed for the purpose of supporting electrical equipment shall be painted yellow. We can batwing EMT, MC, greenfield, etc to the yellow wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.