Unicouple Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Has anyone used these type of connectors before and how do they differ from your normal EMT set sc rew/compression connector? Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've installed thousand of feet of the set screw style of uni-couple EMT. With the exception of not having to buy and install separate couplings I really see no advantage. Makes it more like running RMC at times when you have bending involved since you have to plan on how you'll install it without cutting the coupling end off. The beauty of EMT is that if you're a bit too long on a bent piece you can simply cut it. Not as easy with a coupling already built on to the pipe. Although it is pretty good for straight pipe runs.

macmikeman

The other day in the supply house I saw some compression looking type that you pull back the collar and just slip it onto the emt. Of course I had to dislike it cause they didn't invent it 30 years ago so its a new thing and therefore no good.... Is this what we are talking about here?

ceb58

The other day in the supply house I saw some compression looking type that you pull back the collar and just slip it onto the emt. Of course I had to dislike it cause they didn't invent it 30 years ago so its a new thing and therefore no good.... Is this what we are talking about here?

Kinda but not exactly. These couplings are made on the pipe. They screw together like a union with out spinning the pipe.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Picture a compression fitting (one half of a coupling, say) permanently attached to one end of a stick.

BILLY101

Unicouple is/was a product that incorporates the conduit coupling with the conduit be it RMC, IMC or EMT set screw or compression.
On RMC and IMC the couplings are actually unions.
On EMT, do to the increased cost and lead time it only presents and advantage when there are large quantities or racks of straight runs. Also when bends are involved separate conventional couplings will be needed.

BILLY

macmikeman

I know what you mean now. The end of the pipe bells out and it is a coupling fitting for the next length. I always thought they would be pricey.. There is a Bridgeport? fitting that has a spring loaded compression nut you pull on and then slide the coupling onto the pipe. No tightening required. I thought it looked a bit spooky myself. Next time I'm in there I will take my camera with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.