ampacity of #8 THHN in EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Hey can you put #8 THHN on a 50 amp breaker for a single residential Range outlet. ( 120/240v )
I know it must be # 6 if NM wire is used.
I have a disagreement with a fellow Electrician.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Certainly you can, see Table 310.16, 75deg and if needed 240.4

Roger

Last edited:

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
As long as the terminals are 75 degree rated there should be no problem. After all how often does a range even pull it's full amp rating? you would need all 4 burners and the oven on at the same time.

Last edited:

Cavie

As long as the terminals are 75 degree rated there should be no problem. After all how often does a range even pull it's full amp rating? you would need all 4 burners and the oven on at the same time.

Thanksgiving and Xmas dinner come to mind. Sunday family gatherings also.

Cavie

My theory is you must wire to the nameplate rating of the unit just as you would a heat strip. This theory is Generally ignored. My boss in Lee County told me "Don't go there" but could not give me a code reference. I passed many ranges in the maga homes that should have been on 60 amp ckts because I was told to.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
How about 220.55? That allows you to treat a range branch circuit the same way yoo do for the Service calculation. See all the little caveats in Note 4 to that table. To require a branch circuit over 50A would need a range sized > 22KW (see Note 1).

Last edited:

Jim W in Tampa

Yes you can but has nothing to do with the 4 burners and oven. #8 thhn is good for 50 amps at 75. The 4 burners might keep going for over 3 hours but the oven has thermastat that will be cycling on and off.
As for romex he is limited to 40 amps.
If nobody ever used all 4 burners they would not be there.
What you have is a romex man that might not even have a code book. Help him out by showing him 310.16 and point out that romex is 60 degree. But first make a free lunch bet.

G0049

Even then it would rarely pull a full load. Most ovens have an upper and a lower element that are rarely on at the same time. You broil with the upper, and bake with the lower. Preheat and self clean are about the only times they would both be on at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.