Rusted unistrut

Status
Not open for further replies.

68lituup

We installed a new service panel and riser on existing wood siding. The customer claims that the galvanized unistrut , when cut, will rust and will cause damage to the wood siding. Does anyone have experience with this happening or is he blowing off steam.
Also, is the strength of the unistrut comprimised if the "C" part is sawed off leaving the back portion to bolt down to the framing. About 3" at the end to be cut so it does not interfere with the rain gutter. - (8"from the riser.):-?

iwire

Staff member
Yes that will happen.

You can buy cold galvanizing spray and that will slow the rust down.

Or you can get stainless-steel or fiberglass strut that will never rust.

Buck Parrish

To help prevent rust, I carry a can of clear polyurethane on the truck.

Cutting the c part in just three inches shouldnt hurt it much for that install. Hanging might be a different story.

Last edited:

Jim W in Tampa

Of course it will rust. All that is galvinized is the surface so cutting it will result in rust fast.
Few customers will say anything but since this one knows i suggest you do as Bob said.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I file the cut ends to debur and use spray on cold galv. The cut part will quickly rust
And there is a difference between hot dipped and galvanized strut.

Ken In NJ

I have used cold galvanizing spray like said above to help stop that .. and also have used the soft plastic caps on the ends

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
We installed a new service panel and riser on existing wood siding. The customer claims that the galvanized unistrut , when cut, will rust and will cause damage to the wood siding.
He is right. And rust stains are hard to get out of wood. Do you really want a repair bill to replace a bunch of his siding a few years down the road?

Also, is the strength of the unistrut comprimised if the "C" part is sawed off leaving the back portion to bolt down to the framing. About 3" at the end to be cut so it does not interfere with the rain gutter. - (8"from the riser.):-?

Basically you have changed the unistrut to a piece of light gauge bar stock. You did indeed seriously compromise the strut. Whether it matters or not is something else.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Wow 15 post's and I'm the first to say it, Welcome to Mike Holt's code forum :grin: excuse my rude friends :grin::grin::grin:
Spray paint, cold Galv, make the customer happy. It pays back in spades to have a happy customer.

lakee911

We always call for S.S strut, and if we do use galvanized then we call for coating the ends after its cut.

There is Al and PVC strut too.

I'd be concerned on galv strut in general if I was customer...

Jason

renosteinke

I think the customer might actually have a point here ...

Consider your fasteners as well as the strut. Look around, and you'll probably see numerous homes that have nice long rust stains coming from the head of every siding nail. That's why the box stores carry stainless deck screws.

So what can be done? Well, who says you must use strut? Can you make your supports out of wood?

As mentioned...use very slow speed on drill and hit with oil! Stainless is surprisingly soft once you get used to it!

Being on the coast we use large amounts of the cold galve and in my experience the best results are obtained if you apply while the metal is hot!

Status
Not open for further replies.