Smoke detection above annunciator or LOC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gategator37

Does NFPA 72 require smoke detection above annunciator panels or local operator controls?

I dont know if they are considered control units? I would think so, but am unsure.

Thanks for the help guys/gals

MNWildcat

No, not if it is not integral to the system. A typical annunicator panel does not need a smoke. Only for items that if lost would take some of the system down with it, e.g. a power supply, voice evac amp, etc.

nhfire77

No, not if it is not integral to the system. A typical annunciator panel does not need a smoke. Only for items that if lost would take some of the system down with it, e.g. a power supply, voice evac amp, etc.

So you don't think a dead short on a data bus at an annc, might not affect everything else on that data bus??

Maybe, maybe not, just asking the question.

2007 72.4.4.5 The last few engineered projects I have done, the engineer has required smokes at remote annc/keypads, using this as a reference.

However 2010 10.15 states FACU, does not annunciators, in fact its specifically states: The term fire control unit does not include equipment such as annunciators and addressable devices.

I agree. a true annunciator, such as an LED or graphical style, does not need coverage.

There are AHJ's that will make the argument, the intergral operator interface built into an annunciator changes it to a FACU, because its controls not just annunciates. In fact, we had a graphical annunciator, that had key switches for a silence feature. Since the key feature, controlled the system, a smoke was required.

Mileage will vary with AHJ.

MNWildcat

So you don't think a dead short on a data bus at an annc, might not affect everything else on that data bus??

Simple Ann panels are often located in a vestibule and I would never put a smoke in that location. Base code does not require smoke there.

Now, if you have a graphic panel and some other control, then it may be a good engineered decision to add a smoke, as long as the ambient conditions allow.

Status
Not open for further replies.